Enclosure to Tangband W8-1772

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sigh. You appear to have completely missed the entire point. I was not comparing 'yours' to anything else. I couldn't care tuppence about that. The first plot shown was simply to refute your statement that 'all BLHs have a suckout below 100Hz.' Which is of course complete nonsense. Now, if you had said 'most compromised BLHs exhibit nulls in their response due to the impedance mismatch & harmonic issues' then that would have been a more accurate remark. But if you are not precise, then you will have to expect people to correct some of your wilder remarks in case they unintentionally mislead people.

The second was not addressed to you; however, again, it was supposed to be a simple example in response to a query about whether an exponential horn is possible for this TB driver, illustrating that yes, of course it is. No more. No finished designs. No 'comparisons.' No 'apples and pears' (interesting -the English version of that expression has a different fruit & is 'apples and oranges.' Which came first though, the deed or doer, the goose or the egg, I am not learned enough to tell). It really was supposed to be as simple as that.

Gentlemen, please.

Communication is a difficult thing, especially when it for the one part is in a forreign language.
Much can then, unintentionaly, be written or understood in another way than it was meant.

When I was fiddeling around with hornresponse I also found out that it was, in theory, possible to make a reasonably good response with an expo horn, but the size of it would require a house of its own! (not very practical :xeye: )

I will look into the suggestion kindly brought by Horst in the morning. It looks very interesting, especially if it can go all the way down to 40Hz.

Scottmoose, if You could be so kind as to find the time to look at a HC alternative, I will be deaply greatfull.
It's a beautifull construction in it's simplicity, and I like that.

Hello again.

Here's my first suggestion to the hornlayout.
I've split the hornexpansion into 4 conical parts, and splitting the hornmouth with a wedge into the lower rear corners of the enclosure between the floor and wall, wich makes a 5th part of the hornexpansion.
In the chamber I have thought of placing a moveable backwall, so I can see the effect of different volumns.

What do You think?

Attachments

• tb_w8_1772_horn.jpg
    tb_w8_1772_horn.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,103
Hello hm.

Thank You for Your comments.

What is in Your experience the benifit of using 3 x softboard vs. a sandwich of softboard/MDF vs. MDF only??

When You suggest making the hornmouth smaller, do You thereby mean even smaller than Your first advice of @1000cm2 (40x25cm) ??

I have attached a suggestion to the layout of the compression chamber with the modifications You have suggested. Please let me know what You think.

Attachments

• tb_w8_1772_horn_2.jpg
    tb_w8_1772_horn_2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,081
Hello hm.

Got the answer to my first question from one of Your earlier posts. Sorry :)

hm said:
Try it like this,
height of driver zentrum = sit ear height
~44 cm wide,
max. enclosure volume,
take k 0,6
take l 2,5 m
open the last 50 cm with min. triple k
take the press chamber and the first m of the horn
in softfibre, to reduce box sound and all
"Schallschnellen" over 100 Hz

AH, o,oo1
with my formula you get an math AM of only 0,4 x 0,11 m
you construct the end with ~0,4 x 0,25 m

Hello,

sorry now i don´t understand your plan,

look my TUBA BASSTUBA HELIKON SERPENT,

press chamber flater, left and the other a right
dead end as i wrote, are you sure about your plan now.

calculate the mouth, length and tell us your size of the cut outs,
than you will understand. how you calculate the triangle?
For that cut outs to big?
Why don´t you show us a list of your calculation, the foldings etc.
all the members can follow the construction way.

If your horn gets near 200 L, reread the SAXOPHON,
and try it.

"What is in Your experience the benifit of using 3 x softboard vs. a sandwich of softboard/MDF vs. MDF only??"
Did you read: about what?

i see you take only 35 cm wide?!,
120 cm high where is your sit ear height?

Hello hm.

Sorry for keeping You waiting.
My idea was to make it easier to experiment with the volumn of the chamber, eventhough it would make the enclosure taller, but not to tall for my earheight, which is 1m, when I sit down. It's only the enclosure that is 121cm. The center of the speakerunit is 1m from the floor.

The cross sectional area of the horn is calculated with the formula You so kindly suggested:

AL=(exp(L*k)*AH)*100.000

AL is the cross sectional area at L.
L is the distance from the hornthroat.
k=0,6, the constant You suggested.
AH is the hornthroat area, 100cm2 at Your suggestion.
All multiplied with 100.000 to convert m2 into cm2

L(m) AL(cm2)
0 100,00
0,1 106,18
0,2 112,75
0,3 119,72
0,4 127,12
0,5 135,00
0,6 143,33
0,7 152,20
0,8 161,61
0,9 171,60
1,0 182,21
1,1 193,48
1,2 205,44
1,3 218,15
1,4 231,64
1,5 245,96
1,6 261,17
1,7 277,32
1,8 294,47
1,9 312,68
2,0 332,01
2,1 352,54
2,2 374,34
2,3 397,49
2,4 422,07
2,5 448,17

Then I added the extended hornmouth at @1000cm2 at Your suggestion, if I understood You correctly. The triangles function and form is to make that part conical.
The drawing is actually precise, but the ratio is unknown ;)

If I understand You correctly, the 3xSoftboard helps to reduce frequencies above 100Hz, which would be the answer to my question "What is in Your experience the benifit of using 3 x softboard vs. a sandwich of softboard/MDF vs. MDF only??"

The 44cm You suggested, is that because the baffle will be supporting the midrange enough to equal and meet the horn output?

In the attached drawing, where I have tried to follow all of Your suggestions, though keeping the triangle at the hornmouth, the hornmouth is placed in the lower rear corners of the enclosure sides, right in the corner between the wall and the floor, where it takes full advantage of the extension and amplification it supplies.

Please feel free to comment ;)

Attachments

• tb_w8_1772_horn_3.jpg
    tb_w8_1772_horn_3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 980
Hej Solve

Solve said:
Anyone built something with this speaker yet?
Or heard it?

I doubt it, apart from me, and maby a very few others.

It's a brand new model, and as far as I know, it has only been shipped as samples to selected (and potential) pro customers.

Since the minimum order quantities are 500pcs, and the price is far from low, I could imagine that retail dealers these days are reluctant to take them home, unfortunately.

It could though be very interesting to compare them with some other 8" fullrange speakers like ie. Fostex :cool:

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, it will fit in the HC cabinet, with a couple of modifications -throat length will need to be reduced to 3/4in & depth of the throat (as in front - back) increased to 1.5in

Scottmoose:

Have I correctly interpreted your meaning here (photo)?

I'm new to this type of enclosure, and not sure of the lingo.

Thanks very much,

Mike

Attachments

• 1772HC.png
    1772HC.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 555
Scottmoose:

Have I correctly interpreted your meaning here (photo)?

I'm new to this type of enclosure, and not sure of the lingo.

Thanks very much,

Mike

I'm also very interested in the TB1772 Half Chang variant. I have a freshly constructed pair of 207e HC's and I'm enjoying them alot. I also have a pr of the TB1772's on their way to me. :D

So other than the mod to the throat, the back chamber volume, horn dims, etc would essentially stay the same?

I seem to have caught the full range bug...:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.