Enclosure Stuffing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if foam was placed in a vacuum it could carry a wave all by itself.

all it takes for a wave is mass and elasticity. air has it but also the foam itself has it.

perhaps what needs to be measured is speed of sound in the foam itself ( when the foam is in vacuum ).

the actual wave is then a superposition of air wave ( in immobilized foam ) and foam wave ( in vacuum ) with a certain degree of coupling between the two !

the only useful model would have to be built on this foundation. it would then be able to correctly predict all effects.

what needs to be done is taking impulse response of stuffed versus unstuffed pipe.

the impulse will be delayed but the shape and magnitude will change as well. this should bring effects such as attenuation and bandpass filtering to light.

then you would have to play sinewave tones with and without stuffing to watch for generation of harmonics or other distortions.

perhaps do an intermodulation test ...

only question is where do u find a source capable of generating a perfect signal ?

Yup that would be a good analytical method, perhaps just by subtracting the resultant wave from the original, sine or otherwise, would give you a pretty good idea of the characteristics. That is, although its possibly not the easiest method around. Maybe an improvement though.

anyway we got sidetracked again.

yes sorry. my bad. :spin:

my claim was that bass CAN be attenuated by foam for EVERY mode of the enclosure down to the fundamental.

my other claim was that aperiodic is not different from stuffing.

but now i actually think i need a disclaimer. aperiodic is only not different from stuffing IF ( and that's a big if ) the stuffing is immobilized to the same degree as resistive material in an aperiodic vent.

I agree this may be partially true, although i cant see it working for a small volume box say 5litres. maybe if you had a 100litre box then it would be quite possible.

immobilizing the foam not only at the edges of the cabinet but throughout the entire box volume may be the key to obtaining ideal bass performance.

again quite possibly, in a large volume.

if foam was placed in a vacuum it could carry a wave all by itself.
perhaps what needs to be measured is speed of sound in the foam itself ( when the foam is in vacuum ).

I agree. as the foam doesnt have a uniform density due to the aerated structure, the nearest approximation would be to do exactly that. I expect it would be more accurate than current methods.

I have just read this thread completely, and I like to give the open cell foam a try. What i could not find however, is the recommended PPI for the foam (I will be using it in a midbass enclosure covering 100Hz - 1Khz)

I have read Earl uses his "scrap", which comes (I think) from the fabrication of his well known foam plugs (which use 30 PPI foam I think).

Earl, if you are still following this thread, could you please confirm this? As this foam is quite expensive, I do not want to buy all available sorts to see what works…

Yes, too dense will "turn the corner" and have a negative effect. Too open and you are not getting as much effect as you could. For a waveguide I tested a wide range and 30 PPI was the optimum. For use inside, I suspect that this is too open. I can almost guarantee it, because I was looking for low loss at 10 kHz. At 100 Hz, this would equate to almost nothing. I would go to 50 ppi just on principle. I would suspect that 80 PPi might be the optimum, but its hard to say.

Wim, Take a look at the foam used in outdoor and nautical furniture. Some of that is obviously reticulated because the water just goes right through. What the PPI is, I don't know.

So far I had no luck to find the higher PPI foams for acceptable cost. The 30 PPI version is used a lot in pond filters, and is quite affordable.

Does anyone has a good address in Europa to buy 50 to 80 PPI open cell reticulated foam?

I did say not to get too techy. Always has to be someone.

Earl, let's try basic, very basic physics. Let's also stick to a sealed loudspeaker. The cone of a speaker moves in and out. The amount of energy put into the room is equal in energy terms to the amount of energy expended into the enclosure. Now if that's wrong in basic terms then I'll eat my hat.

Why do you need to complicate things when we are helping DIY's to explain basic concepts.

Back to you.

Terry

Sorry to be dragging up old threads but this interested me and I want to understand.

If a speaker moves in a sinusoidal fashion then the forward air flow = reverse air flow (in magnitude) at the surface of the cone.

The definition of power = pressure drop x flow = flow^2 x impedance in the equivalent circuit.

So if the impedances are different in the front and rear circuits, as they clearly are in a loudspeaker system (enclosure vs room) then the power delivered in each hemisphere differs by the ratio of the impedances, which will generally be quite significant. The only case where they will be the same is an infinite baffle system into open space on each side.

I hope this isnt too techy but I think this is what happens. Air flows front/back are equal but neither pressures nor powers are.

A little update on my progress...

I got several qoutes for 75ppi open cell foam (Bulpren S 31 062), but this stuff is too expensive for me (more then 200 euro to fill the entire speaker, per speaker!).

So I filled the inner volume with 30 PPI filterfoam (can be got quite cheap at the local pond shop) and I lined the side walls with 5cm Basotect (an open cell melamine foam of 200 PPI that can be got quite cheap here)

The enclosure has the following inner dimensions: 420 x 316 x 658 (D x W x H) and is loaded with an AE speakers TD12M and a CD horn (Geddes 12”).

I measured the impedance of the TD12M installed in the filled enclosure, and to my eyes it looks very well-behaved (see the scale on zoomed chart), so I would think the damping material has done a decent job. Does anyone know above what point an irregularity in the impedance becomes significant? I seen examples with peaks of 3 ohms and more, so I would think 0.26 ohm (my highest peak) would count as insignificant…

Attachments

• imp TD12M + enclosure.JPG
    imp TD12M + enclosure.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 438
  • imp TD12M + enclosure zoom.JPG
    imp TD12M + enclosure zoom.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 443
  • stuffing.jpg
    stuffing.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 450
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.