Enclosure size

Hi,
I've just bought a pair of speakers on a whim for a project: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...llitems_choice_2006574665339.1005005997414703

Yes, it wasn't a very clever idea but it's a done deal. They came with no model number or technical details so they are just like that. A pair of 4ohm 3W speakers.

I'd like to build or more precisely print a pair of enclosure for them. I know there is a tool that is able to measure the necessary values to make the proper calculations for a box but I don't have it.
So, if someone with an extensive knowledge in enclosure building could give me some educated guesses about what sized box would be suitable for this speaker that would be plenty. Preferably I'd like to build a vented box.

Thanks!

These are tiny drivers:

1709307168136.png

I suggest you mount each of them in a sealed enclosure of internal volume 5 litres, loosely filled with absorbent material.

In the absence of driver parameters, a vented box is not calculable.

Last edited:
EDIT:

On second thoughts, I would reduce the internal volume to 2.25 litres.

If using thin printed enclosure walls, appropriate external enclosure dimensions might be 190 x 100 x 130 mm (h x w x d).

You will have to experiment with the density of the stuffing.

Reactions: 1 user
If they're still that cheap, perhaps you could get anouther pair and have two in each enclosure wired in series to give an 8 ohm impedance, with a capacitor (about 1.5 uf) across the lower on to bias the treble to one driver.
For this project I've got an 3W 4ohm mono mp3 player module which has an output for 1 speaker but thanks for the idea! I'll have another project where this will come quite handy! Thanks!

The thingiverse design is a joke.

A joke that we could regard simply as a bit of fun!

Trying to extract a decent performance from this tiny 45 mm driver by any means certainly makes me smile.

This driver looks like it would be happier in 1 litre than any larger.

I was about to say my 2.25 litre figure for an 'empty' sealed box was still too high, but didn't when I saw the OP's surprise change in direction.

So, you say I should give BL1 a try too and go from there scaling up or down?

The BL1 is designed for a smaller driver than the BL2 V2.0 so would be the obvious reference point. That's the only reason I brought your attention to it.

The audible results using such an enclosure design, rescaled or not, in conjunction with your mystery driver will be completely unpredictable.

However, if you have economical access to the printing process, you may have some fun and perhaps learn something along the way!

Yes, I can confirm. The thingiverse designs are dead end. I've printed a couple of scaled down version and I've also found one that was designed for a 50mm driver but all lacked depth and bass.

On the other hand I've just put the driver into a 1l Milk box and the sound was much more promising. At least there came out some low frequencies too when a hole was made on the box. So, I'll experiment a bit more with box and port size.

Just to report back.
After trying out various box sizes I ended up with a 0.75l box. I created a 650mm long and 23mm diameter port.
The middle tones sound quite powerful but there is a wee bit too much high in there for my taste. The lower frequencies, as expected, aren't magical and far from making a rumble in my chest but some of them are there. Probably I could have done some more experimenting but this does the job for me.

In case someone needs the design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6596035 I'd suggest to buy other 50mm driver that hasn't got this bent metal part that needed to be removed.

Thanks for all the great help!