Enclosure for AN super 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure I'd be wanting the Commonsenseaudio cabinet designs. They don't appear to use a lot of common sense, and will be spectacularly mistuned.

You could try this MLTL.

45in x 13.5inx 9.5in (HxWxD all dimensions given internally). Driver centre 15in down from the top. 3in diameter, 1in long vent, centre 2in up from the bottom. Stuff 0.25lbs ft^3 of hollow-fibre material from the top 17in down, or alternatively, line the top, back and one side-wall to approximately the same height. 3ohms of series resistance need to be added to get the driver's response into line in this (or other) vented boxes. This should also help bring it's rising response over 1Khz down a bit -the basic balance of this driver is better suited to a front-horn or a very long, slowly expanding BLH (hyperbolic or catenoid flare) IMO.

Before I cut the pipes I'll be using for ports, I just want to double check the dimensions: diameter 3, length 1 inch, correct? It just seems awful short compared to most ports I've seen...thanks.

Dan

Hi all!

New here and eagerly awaiting my first pair of AN Super 8's and looking for plans and suggestions above and beyond CSA's 2.8 (which I have and am considering).

This will be the first pair of FR speakers I've actually built myself but I have spent some quality time with a pair of Sachiko DMBLH using a modified 8" Fostex 206E. They weren't without their tradeoffs but I'm tired of buying someone else's speakers and the single driver bug left a pretty good indentation on the part of my brain that likes music so...

I listen to *everything* but my craving for clean, realistic music has pushed me deeper into jazz, classical and some electronica primarily due to the typically higher dynamic range of the recordings and overall superior quality of the mixing and mastering. I'm an electronics "purist" I suppose and prefer my two channel listening "neat", like a good single malt scotch. No EQ, no subwoofer, and in the case of single driver speakers, preferably no zobel, resistors or other electronic magic to make them sound better.

WAF isn't too big a concern although room size IS. My reference pair of speaker are a pair of two way Snell Type J/IV that I absolutely adore and just happen to be small enough to sit unobtrusively in just about any furniture arrangement my wife might decide to through at them. The CSA 2.8 (mkII) is close to this, size-wise anyway, and the build looks easy enough for a first timer but... If there is another design I should be considering instead that might come close to "full range" I'd sure like to hear (read) about it!

I have a limited budget and no table saw although the rest of my tools are fairly decent. I've thought about trying these in a Metronome or perhaps something along the lines of the FHmk3... or?

Thanks in advance!

Greets!

There's some measured specs somewhere on this forum showing that they are pretty far off from published, so any design from them will be somewhat compromised.

That said, assuming nothing's changed spec wise since then, its motor is still quite strong, so to get your desired performance will require either a ~matching output impedance tube amp or large BLH, both of which will dictate a fairly large to huge cab. Using an 'old school' driver design requires 'old school' solutions when you're a 'purist' and want a ~ full-range performance from a single driver.

Another option if the budget can handle another pair of drivers, is to use the second one to fill in the bottom end somewhat and roll it off acoustically somewhere in the lower mids that sounds 'right'. The cab will still be fairly large [hard to get around the physics of the situation], but making it tall might make its footprint an acceptable size.

GM

Greets again!

I built David Dick's CSA 2.8mkII BR's as that is the design he suggested for them. I won't complain about AN's without first trying them in a recommended enclosure! They actually sound very nice and seem much more consistent with SPL/Freq. than the Fostex 206E Sachiko's I had a year ago although they are missing some of the lower bass response compared to the same.

Powered first with a Sonic Impact T-Amp and second with a new Dayton DTA-100a (50wpc T-Amp). I liked the Sonic Impact for brutally analytical mids and highs but the DTA-100a seems to fill in the lower octaves effortlessly.

First 10 hours of break-in showed the fastest rate of improvement, going from flat, tinny sounding alarm clock radio to something much better. After 30-40 hours they are finally starting to loosen up and are producing something a bit warmer and lower. Very fussy about upstream components... first speakers I've personally heard that I could *easily* hear a difference between two different DACs. Also quite finicky about the source material, sounding great and quite life-like with the 'right' tracks and sounding flat and lifeless with the opposite end of the spectrum. On good tracks vocals and imaging are superb as are most percussion. Bass is there, even cello only comes off with just a hint of thinness, but could still use an extra +1 or 2 db to make me really happy.

I wrote what some might equate to an ongoing review on another forum here, if anyone is interested in more detail (and photos of my very hurried woodworking results!): Sound Thinking -> Audio Nirvana Super 8 2.8mkII

Now that they are more broken in I'd like to experiment with a different design but I'm still unsure what to try next. I've read suggestions about an MLTL, a back horn, and voigts, folded and not, and personally am still drawn to the met. I'm not too concerned about complexity as I have much more patience for this second build and have also increased my wood working tool inventory... which created a deficit in WAF and I need to use them now to rebuild my good standing! :)

Would like to focus on extracting more bass from these drivers and would actually prefer a more challenging design or at least one that wasn't very similar to the 2.8 cu.ft. BRs I've built now... I'd like to basically explore something *different*.

Suggestions?

i had a lot of fun with BIB...:Piano:

Attachments

• !cid_90d0f9dfcff147398e4d83f24bbb1907@poste7ae470e03.jpg
    !cid_90d0f9dfcff147398e4d83f24bbb1907@poste7ae470e03.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for the suggestion but besides WAF, my living room is just too awkwardly designed for anything THAT big.... I fear the right size metronome design might be pushing it some too but the tapered sides should go with my angled walls a bit better too (if I can get someone to model them for me?)

reviving this old thread....

I'll try to work up somethng in SketchUp... my laptop crashed and I don't have the usual tools at hand.:(

Hi Ra7,

I just purchased a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8"s and I'm looking for some enclosure plans. I was wondering if you ever got round to drawing up a plan for your folded Voight Pipe? Any help would be much appreciated!

cheers,
col.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.