EnABL - Technical discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
except that the enabl patterns bear no resemblance to meta-material patterns, not to mention the axis problem. Exacting details are what counts here... show some math or let it rest,please... this IS the technical thread, not the speculation thread

How about prove that painting little dots on a speaker makes it sound better ?

I think it falls into the same catigory as, a blue SAME ferrari is slower than a red SAME ferrari..

It's all phoney..

It looks neat but, thats about it...:smash:

How about prove that painting little dots on a speaker makes it sound better ?

I think it falls into the same catigory as, a blue SAME ferrari is slower than a red SAME ferrari..

It's all phoney..

It looks neat but, thats about it...:smash:

Jason,

There have been opportunities to listen to A/B comparisons at Dave's and you haven't bothered to drive a few miles to take advantage of it. Last Summer, you showed up and stayed...an hour or so? It seems that you've been in a better position to actually hear comparisons than just about anyone here (and other than some gasoline), at no cost to yourself.

Why should anyone try to prove anything to you, when you could have proved it, one way or the other, by actually listening to it with your own ears?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Jason,

There have been opportunities to listen to A/B comparisons at Dave's and you haven't bothered to drive a few miles to take advantage of it. Last Summer, you showed up and stayed...an hour or so? It seems that you've been in a better position to actually hear comparisons than just about anyone here (and other than some gasoline), at no cost to yourself.

Why should anyone try to prove anything to you, when you could have proved it, one way or the other, by actually listening to it with your own ears?

Best Regards,
TerryO

If you had my job, you would have the same reasons WHY not to come down there..

When i was there, you guys were moving speakers around so much that it would be pointless, plus the style / type of music isn't my type.

Don't get me wrong I love my full range speakers, however i REALLY REALLY can't believe painting them with dot's is going to change the sound of the driver to the extent you can hear it.

If you had my job, you would have the same reasons WHY not to come down there..

When i was there, you guys were moving speakers around so much that it would be pointless, plus the style / type of music isn't my type.

Don't get me wrong I love my full range speakers, however i REALLY REALLY can't believe painting them with dot's is going to change the sound of the driver to the extent you can hear it.

Jason,

I don't think anyone has said you have to believe anything.

What's troubling, is that you could have listened to an A/B comparison and then decided for yourself if:

1. You can, or cannot, hear a difference.
2. If you can hear a difference then:
(a) Do you find the difference to be better, or worse?
(b) If you find an improvement, is it worth the expense or trouble?

As you well know, people would have stopped moving things around, if you had asked, which you didn't, AFAIK.

As for the Music, that's why it's always been recommended that you should have some recordings with you that you're familiar with, when you attend any type of Audio meet or show.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Remember Jason,

There is a set of 2 level matched prs of mMar-Kel70 -- one with treated drivers, one stock. in a road case, ready to take home and try out in your own home.

dave

Really ? Could use for a few weeks ? Would be cool to see what this hype is all about and experience it my self...

From what I know (which maybe wrong), the blocks of EnABL pattern should act (something) like diffusors, instead of damping or absorption. And they work in the range of cone breakups. (of course, it'd be meaningless to add these dots if the cone is a perfect piston throughout its range)

So, I guess EnABL should be at its maximum value in those bending wave speakers, which work in 'breakup' mode all the time. But why hasn't it been brought up, or so rarely?

Well, I haven't followed this thread very closely. Searched in this thread a bit, I found it interesting that there seems no user of bending wave speakers here. (Sorry if there were, I didn't find out)

In the Exotic forum, I found 2 barely related threads, one for Quad, the other for Magneplan. But I don't think those 2 threads had touched the core...

PROPOSAL FOR A TEST!

Ok.

I just got a reasonably large number of 5.25" Peerless wide range drivers...
The good part is that we have already a Kippel analysis of this driver, including harmonic distortion and freq response.

The more better-er part of it is that the Kippel analysis shows that the driver has a ragged frequency response in the (iirc) middle of its range, with corresponding ragged harmonic distortion too!

So, in short a nice driver with a documented and known flaw.

Sounds like a PERFECT candidate for EnABL to show what it can do?

I however do not own a Kippel analysis system. Anyone reading this HAVE ONE??

Although we could settle on another system and then do a before and after test(s).

I will DONATE some drivers to appropriate parties who A) have EnABL ability & B) either have analysis equipment or we arrange with a third party to do the tests.

Tests will have to be posted regardless of result, good or bad. - Probably to a separate thread.

Who wants to participate? Let's discuss...

_-_-bear

Attachments

• PEERLESS-Report---Klippel-G.jpg
    PEERLESS-Report---Klippel-G.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 125
  • PEERLESS-Report--2---Klippe.jpg
    PEERLESS-Report--2---Klippe.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
No more CSD puleeze

I think the Klippel scanner might be more revealing. The LSI system is for large signal analysis.

I generally would use SoundEasy to generate CSD for this kind of test as a low cost alternative. Other systems I've tried just don't deliver the resolution of CSD necessary.

We've been thru the CSD Blink tests ad-nauseum here... I think they show nothing of value and certainly don't predict improved perceived sound quality due to enabl-ing.

John K. pretty much debunked the abuse of their usage supporting enabl to those willing to accept it

I think Randy's generous offer is a great start, if a Klippel enabled source for analysis can be located. At worst, it would show whether enabl has any technically determinable effect on BL or suspension induced anomalous behavior...

We've been thru the CSD Blink tests ad-nauseum here... I think they show nothing of value and certainly don't predict improved perceived sound quality due to enabl-ing.

John K. pretty much debunked the abuse of their usage supporting enabl to those willing to accept it

I think Randy's generous offer is a great start, if a Klippel enabled source for analysis can be located. At worst, it would show whether enabl has any technically determinable effect on BL or suspension induced anomalous behavior...
Nobody used CSD with high enough resolution is my point. I have access to Klippel equipment, and I know what it can do. Additionally, if you really want to do Klippel measurements, just EnABL them and send them to Klippel for the service.

Let me put it this way. Any measurement helps you fine the problems and provides data that determine how to optimize a solution. But if you do not hear an improvement, if you don't believe it's a reasonable solution, then it's not even worth doing.

Also bear in mind that Klippel uses close mic in it's system. Most people do not place it such to reduce diffraction effects. I believe the measurements of the 5 inch driver SPL is a result of improper mic location. EnABLing will make it change, but will not solve it. To verify what I say, just place the mic 1/4 inch way from the dust cap center and see what results you get.

Last edited:
Well, these are all good things to say. But the bottom line is that we have a driver with some fairly obvious response issues in a highly audible part of the band. Regardless of the ultimate measurement technique(s) used either one will or will not see a clear difference.

How much does Kippel charge for a "test"? I suppose I should search for it online, but I am lazy...

I am willing to part with some drivers if there are suitable participants with appropriate abilities or facilities offered up.

Soongsc - are you saying the apparent breakup is due to mic placement?

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.