EnABL - Technical discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Based on the measurement data I have already made available, it would be interesting to try these on Earl's OS wg. I personally do plan to try something like this as icing on the cake as the final means to reduce the honkiness of horns; but it's going to take a while to get there because there are more major issue with what I'm working on.

I know I've sais this before, but patterns like these are not majic-cure-all things; it's really necessary to have a good understanding on how and when to apply them. No single pattern is going to be optimum as well. But they will perform the function when used apprpiately.

I love to use solutions that very few people know how to get a handle on.:D

Originally posted by soongsc I know I've sais this before, but patterns like these are not majic-cure-all things; it's really necessary to have a good understanding on how and when to apply them.

No single pattern is going to be optimum as well. But they will perform the function when used apprpiately. [/B]

Please define the specific function explicitly and specify how one must use it to be appropriate. All I keep reading is that it performs a function and its application musts be specific, all nebulous claims without any supporting evidence other than pretty pictures. The only significant evidence has all been contradictory, all rejected by the believers, of course. The claims continue, but nothing else is provided.

Dave

sreten said:
Hi,

FWIW you are flogging a dead horse.
No-one sensible is that dumb.

That is, no-one will set out to measure something that has
no physical explanation for, or prediction of the artifact of
the effect you are trying to measure. You want someone
to stumble around in the dark looking for something.

You insist there is something to be found, and therefore
will insist not finding anything is looking at it wrongly.
But you have no idea what should be looked for.

It is not logical. It is not the scientific method.

:)/sreten.

Are you really suggesting that no-one will measure cabinet EnABL if there is "no physical explanation for it or prediction of the artifact of the effect" being measured??

I insist only that there is an audible change - whether that is measurable or not remains to be seen.

dlr said:
Given the wavelengths involved and the dimensions of any enabl marks, it is ludicrous to think that there can be any significant impact of any kind, measurable or audible. It's all placebo, nothing else.

Of course, at this point I've yet to see any definition of other "appropriate measurements". This has been a common refrain, yet remains nebulous. Necessarily so, of course, to maintain the delusion. What john k provided is sufficient. The question remains unsettled only to believers. I've spent literally years testing and measuring diffraction (the only real change that occurs with discontinuities on non-moving parts). There is nothing of significance in tiny strips painted on a surface, especially at the frequencies involved with ports and even cabinets. It's all in the mind.

Dave

dlr said:
It is not worth my time. There may be some nearly infinitesimal change made, so there is no worth in it. I have no doubt that it is inaudible, it's all placebo.

After "literally years testing and measuring diffraction" you should have some idea as to "appropriate measurements" with regard to cabinet EnABL.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex from Oz said:
After "literally years testing and measuring diffraction" you should have some idea as to "appropriate measurements" with regard to cabinet EnABL.

Cheers,

Alex

You missed the point. As has been said and is obvious to those with measurement experience, the measurements provided by john k are sufficient. You claim not and insist that "appropriate measurements" are required (whatever they may be and as yet undefined), directly stating that john's are insufficient. So again I say, define "appropriate" since you have dismissed those that have been provided as lacking somehow.

The ball is in your court to prove your point and refute the data in evidence. It must be more than simply dismissing it as insufficient. There's nothing credible in that position, quite the contrary, it indicates irrationality in the face of direct evidence.

Dave

dlr said:

Please define the specific function explicitly and specify how one must use it to be appropriate. All I keep reading is that it performs a function and its application musts be specific, all nebulous claims without any supporting evidence other than pretty pictures. The only significant evidence has all been contradictory, all rejected by the believers, of course. The claims continue, but nothing else is provided.

Dave
I don't know what other significant evidence you are talking about. But it's easy to say that something is invisible and cannot be detected.:D So when I cannot measure a difference, but many people tell me very specifically what the difference is, I normally recheck my methods.
I don't think you will get any answeres using provoking methods.

soongsc said:

I don't know what other significant evidence you are talking about. But it's easy to say that something is invisible and cannot be detected.:D So when I cannot measure a difference, but many people tell me very specifically what the difference is, I normally recheck my methods.

I didn't say other evidence, I'm referring to the measurements provided by john k. That is direct evidence, the only so far (for baffles at least), and it contradicts the claims. Not surprising since it's a ludicrous proposition to begin with.

We now also have another third party who has enabled and tested drivers, the single piece of equipment that can have an impact made on it, yet the report is that there is no significant audible change. Of course the believers immediately reject the result, since it's not in agreement with their belief.

This all has nothing to do with how you do things. You're implying that the data (measurements) provided are in error. They are not and are what a reasonable and experienced person would expect to see in measurements. The claims of audibility are fallacious. There's nothing remotely believable, not even close.

Dave

dlr said:

I didn't say other evidence, I'm referring to the measurements provided by john k. That is direct evidence, the only so far (for baffles at least), and it contradicts the claims. Not surprising since it's a ludicrous proposition to begin with.

We now also have another third party who has enabled and tested drivers, the single piece of equipment that can have an impact made on it, yet the report is that there is no significant audible change. Of course the believers immediately reject the result, since it's not in agreement with their belief.

This all has nothing to do with how you do things. You're implying that the data (measurements) provided are in error. They are not and are what a reasonable and experienced person would expect to see in measurements. The claims of audibility are fallacious. There's nothing remotely believable, not even close.

Dave
Well, john k has removed his data as far as I can find. So unless we can get that data back, really there seems nothing to show. Maybe you want to repeat the test yourself to prove your point?

soongsc said:

Well, john k has removed his data as far as I can find. So unless we can get that data back, really there seems nothing to show. Maybe you want to repeat the test yourself to prove your point?

There's no need. John did it, he proved the point, there's nothing further to prove. You were involved then. It's a bit disingenuous to try to question or reject that proof now because he's removed the measurements from his site. Their validity does not change.

Dave

dlr said:

There's no need. John did it, he proved the point, there's nothing further to prove. You were involved then. It's a bit disingenuous to try to question or reject that proof now because he's removed the measurements from his site. Their validity does not change.

Dave
Sorry, but john k was never able to answer my questions directly. He would not show the data I thought was necessary to confirm that his tests had good enough resolution. So to me, that test is not valid. Rather than rely on tests that others did of which we do not know sufficient detail of, it's best to do your own testing.

soongsc said:

Sorry, but john k was never able to answer my questions directly. He would not show the data I thought was necessary to confirm that his tests had good enough resolution. So to me, that test is not valid. Rather than rely on tests that others did of which we do not know sufficient detail of, it's best to do your own testing.

You're the one who does not accept his data, not I. It's up to you to disprove it if you don't accept it. I do. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Dave

dlr said:
You missed the point. As has been said and is obvious to those with measurement experience, the measurements provided by john k are sufficient. You claim not and insist that "appropriate measurements" are required (whatever they may be and as yet undefined), directly stating that john's are insufficient.

So again I say, define "appropriate" since you have dismissed those that have been provided as lacking somehow.

I had a look on your website and found this article - Diffraction Effects and Amelioration with Felt.

Based on that, I propose the following as "appropriate measurements" to determine whether the effects of EnABL on cabinets is measureable:

1) Frequency Response graphs @ 1 metre
- on-axis
- 15 degrees off-axis
- 30 degrees off-axis
- 60 degrees off-axis
2) Time Domain graph @ 1 metre on-axis
3) Step Response graph @ 1 metre on-axis
4) Cumulative Spectral Decay (CSD, or Waterfall) plots @ 1 metre on-axis.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex from Oz said:

I had a look on your website and found this article - Diffraction Effects and Amelioration with Felt.

Based on that, I propose the following as "appropriate measurements" to determine whether the effects of EnABL on cabinets is measureable:

- on-axis
- 15 degrees off-axis
- 30 degrees off-axis
- 60 degrees off-axis

Cheers,

Alex

One more time, what john k provided was sufficient. There is nothing of significance in the enable treatment on a baffle. Case closed.

Dave

Alex from Oz said:

- on-axis
- 15 degrees off-axis
- 30 degrees off-axis
- 60 degrees off-axis

Cheers,

Alex
Alex,

Anyone not open to reasoning of any kind will only accept his own opinion. Anyone reading this thread whom has knowledge will know what they should do based on the data presented. There will be lots of people that will accept what some other person said or what some book published without full understanding, and we just have to accept this reality.

I once asked a graduate student why he can represent a sensor with only a contant gain in his thesis, the answer was "because that's what the books say".

Some people will also feel lose of face if they did tests according to what other people layout.

So, really. If people understand and wish to know more, they will ask; if they just can't grasp the idea and have no engineering intuition, then they just won't budge with any amount of explanation.

The problem with the test that john k did is that we do not know whether the resolution of the equipment was good enough for the way he wanted to acquire data. In most cases like this, the mic has to be very sensitive, low noise, and mic preamp gain scaled such that the maximum ADC range is used. One way to determine this is to look at the baffle edge diffraction impulse and taking into consideration the off-axis response of the driver. A more simpler way would be to measure change in baffle edge diffraction right where it occurs and see if the pattern changes the diffraction profile and frequency content or not. I do not know why this approach was not taken since it places less requirements on the mic. But as we know, people whom have established a status in the audio world cannot afford to be wrong, especially not in a DIY forum.

Hi Alex,

John K's tests and theoretical analysis predicts the suggested
tests will not find anything. That is within the normal resolution
of such tests it will be impossible to the ascertain the difference
between an EnABLed and un-EnABLed speaker cabinet.

If you do not like this conclusion - tough. Nothing changes.
You want him to be wrong, sorry, that is not going happen.

:)/sreten.

soongsc said:

Alex,

Anyone not open to reasoning of any kind will only accept his own opinion. Anyone reading this thread whom has knowledge will know what they should do based on the data presented. There will be lots of people that will accept what some other person said or what some book published without full understanding, and we just have to accept this reality.

I once asked a graduate student why he can represent a sensor with only a contant gain in his thesis, the answer was "because that's what the books say".

Some people will also feel lose of face if they did tests according to what other people layout.

So, really. If people understand and wish to know more, they will ask; if they just can't grasp the idea and have no engineering intuition, then they just won't budge with any amount of explanation.

The problem with the test that john k did is that we do not know whether the resolution of the equipment was good enough for the way he wanted to acquire data. In most cases like this, the mic has to be very sensitive, low noise, and mic preamp gain scaled such that the maximum ADC range is used. One way to determine this is to look at the baffle edge diffraction impulse and taking into consideration the off-axis response of the driver. A more simpler way would be to measure change in baffle edge diffraction right where it occurs and see if the pattern changes the diffraction profile and frequency content or not. I do not know why this approach was not taken since it places less requirements on the mic. But as we know, people whom have established a status in the audio world cannot afford to be wrong, especially not in a DIY forum.

Soo... all you folks not willing to accept John K's, Daves', Sretens', etc. interpretation of these results... what's stopping you? You seem quick with criticism of the null hypothesis, yet woefully short on data supporting that rejection.

Have at it!! Design an experiment with the appropriate evaluation criteria, sample size, number of trials, internal controls, etc. No one is stopping you! We're all waiting.....:D

After all, you seem to dispute all of the technical findings to date, so until you actually produce some valid experimnetal data to the contrary, your musings, in this thread at least are, well, pretty darn irrelevant.

John L.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.