EnABL Processes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my potential application, two of the drivers are up and down firing and the listener is 90º off axis.

Has anyone done any critical listening or better yet, testing, significantly off axis to determine how EnaABL'd and non'EnABL'd cones compare?

If not, anyone care to speculate on the off axis performance differences?

I am the fourth person at the demo, I sat next to Lynn at the front row, I was told by a friend about the demo, have not been following this thread before I have no idea what it was about. As described earlier 2 sets of 3 tracks were played, after the first set when the 2nd pair of drivers were in, I immediately heard the increase in distortion, it was difficult for me to focus on the music after that, I remember Lynn asked to have the bass level increased during the second set, I did not know the impedence of the drivers were different, are the sensitivity of the drivers different from 8ohm to 16ohm? shouldn't the 8ohm driver draws more current and play louder? Even though this is not an apple to apple comparison, I am very impressed with the EnABLed drivers, since I own a pair of DX4 running in OB I am very intereste in this process and looking forward to learn more.

dlneubec,

For the pattern, use a flat acrylic model paint that can be used for air brush applications.

Not that you will be using it for that, but the calligraphy pens I keep going on about, need a runny material to wick and work properly, without clogging. I use a clear flat material from Poly S as it also works very well in technical pens and they are very useful for center dome treatments and dome tweeter treatments.

From others experimenting, it does appear that most acrylic paints, including artists paint will work. I do not have any idea of how well they work, in comparison to what I use, but the folks using the "illegal" materials don't seem to care and happily keep using it.

As for dispersion, once you treat the phase plug and outer rim of the mounting flange, your dispersion will be as wide as the included angle of your cones, for all information and almost point source omni directional, in a vertical sense, for a very good fraction of that. Certainly more than without treatment.

bigwill,

That may well be panomaniac, he provided a pair of treated Hemp FR8 drivers to Audiomagus.

Bud

Attachments

• inverted_enable.jpg
    inverted_enable.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 545
shooter,

Thank you for posting your findings. Seems you heard what everyone else has heard.

As for your DX 4 drivers, be a bit careful and read the thread starting here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1209986#post1209986

Go here for pics of how to use the pattern documents.

http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

I treated a pair of DX 4 drivers and found them to be explosively dynamic, wonderfully musical and down right frightening with their portrayal of dynamic transients. The owner of the drivers, "Limono" on this forum, spent quite a bit of time learning how to use them. He ended up removing them from his horns and then back loading them with the horns. Just so you know. Also you will need a set of Electron Pools, but that is another story entirely.

Bud

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
bigwill said:
I spy some EnABLed drivers at an audio event!
http://6moons.com/industryfeatures/rmaf07/44.jpg

Ha! That's my handy work. :D That is my buddy Brian standing beside the "Little Grass Shack" speakers. There are a Planet10 design.

That lovely Hemp Acoustic FR8c was EnABL'd right there in the hotel room about 30 hours before the photo was taken. No glue drop in the center, nor conformal coating, as we didn't have the stuff. My home hemps have the glue drop.

I can say that diyAUDIO.com was well represented in our room. That speaker cabinet design, the hemp drivers, the EnABL, the T-Amps. All sparked by ideas on this forum.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
chrisb said:
*a little Maui Waui included in this very organic mix, methinks :clown:

Yep, we hoped there would be good sonic synergy between the bamboo and the hemp cones. Thus the "Little Grass Shack" appellation.

The Bamboo plywood is a beautiful material, but not cheap. About $170 US per sheet for 3/4" thickness. The 6 Moons photo came out better than mine and does the color justice to some extent. The color is a rich honey brown, matte finish. Everyone loved the way they looked. I highly recommend the bamboo ply, if you can get it. No need for veneer or paint, it's beautiful on its own with a simple finish.

Oddly enough, I got no questions about the all the strange dots on the driver. Go figure.....

Status
Not open for further replies.