Eminence LAB 15 + Hypex DS8.0 sealed box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bracing needs little bit more work. Chamber behind driver is bigger and needs more support. I made a mistake and the driver comes deeper than I thought. :whip:

The actual volume is about 57L and acoustic volume is 68L. I will stuff it 24g/L of damping material which is alot and it will increase the volume plus 20% to 68L. Some may disagree with this but I want same output as in the sim of WinISD. Next choice is to make 500x500x500mm cube which would work even without stuffing. Actually I modelled it at first. :)

http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Box Stuffing.pdf has some info on stuffing subwoofers. On sealed box 24g/L is ok but with bass reflex maybe 12g/L.

Ok. Now I'm thinking this might be more easier to make. 500x500x500mm cube. Actual volume 68L or maybe more with stuffing.

Attachments

• ScreamAudioSub15a.png
    ScreamAudioSub15a.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 708
  • ScreamAudioSub15b.png
    ScreamAudioSub15b.png
    50 KB · Views: 707
  • ScreamAudioSub15c.png
    ScreamAudioSub15c.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 698
Hi.

I have a little bit of a problem now with materials. Maybe some expert in subwoofer box building will read this...

I asked prices from a carpenter and it seems a box from 26mm glued birch board is pretty expensive to make. I could get 19mm MDF box much cheaper.

Atleast there is two problems with MDF. One is finishing the surface so that it doesn't look ugly. Second is that it might resonate more and will the baffle hold togeather.

The driver will be placed a few millimeters deeper in baffle. Joints in box will be made with lamello.

Maybe a white or black paint job on surface and the baffle could be double?:confused:

Im not sure what you mean by "finishing", but it is easier to get a nice finish from mdf.
For hifi i think 19mm is a bit on the lean side, schould be at least 22mm.
Lamello is fine, use a lot of white glue (you have Cascol in Finland?)
A small tip: after aplying glue on mdf, put the bits together and wait a few minutes before putting pressure on the joints, this way you get a stronger joint because glue penetrate the flat hard layer.

Dag

I decided to go for the 19mm MDF and double baffle. My "workshop" didn't have big enough space and tools for this project so the carpenter will assemble the enclosure. I just do sanding, paint job and installation. I'll have it in 2 weeks and then I get to do my work on it. :)

I am also looking at Lab 15 for my DIY sub in a 2600cu.ft. dedicated HT room. I am looking to place the driver in passive sealed enclosure with lot of polyfill. Wondering what the volume of enclosure should be so that I get decent extension & output down to 20hz.

Hi vinodk,

Do you already have the LAB15s? If not, I would advise to look at other drivers, e.g.: the Epic 12" that PE sells outperforms the LAB15 in a sealed HT application. Or go for a different enclosure, e.g.: a T-QWP looks promising for the LAB15

Regards,

Attachments

• Sealed_v_TQWP_SPL_annotated.jpg
    Sealed_v_TQWP_SPL_annotated.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Hi Veke 76,

I think particle velocity is where the real advantage of the TH over the BR comes in:

Regards,

Attachments

• TH_10ft^3_300W_Input.jpg
    TH_10ft^3_300W_Input.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 658
  • TH_10ft^3_300W_SPL.jpg
    TH_10ft^3_300W_SPL.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 641
  • TH_10ft^3_300W_GD.jpg
    TH_10ft^3_300W_GD.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 633
  • TH_10ft^3_300W_PV.jpg
    TH_10ft^3_300W_PV.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.