Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have listened quickly using active crossover and only one speaker in mono. But there is one massive flaw with the Beta10CX that makes it non HI-FI in my opinion and that is that above 5kHz the on and off axis frequency responses are totally different! this is quite noticeable if you listen directly on axis with the speaker however over most listening situations the off axis response (thankfully) dominates. This apparently is due to a poor quality horn cone termination (big step). The 2.5KHz spike in the woofers response that looks huge on the data sheet is not much of a problem in reality.

Saying that everything else is good, the driver goes deep (40Hz) without needing an excessively big box, goes very loud, sounds quite nice and is one of the cheapest coaxials.

Designing a crossover was tricky! I ended up mainly using the off axis frequency response as this seems to be where to listen to the speaker and crossing 3rd order (accoustic) at 2KHz. Waiting on components to try this out.

I would hesitate to recommend this driver to those who are not specifically looking for a coaxial as I think that other coaxial drivers are going to be better (more even power response) but I don't know of anything apart from B&C and they are far too expensive.

*I am familier with full range drivers and this is better for larger speakers, I like full range drivers for near field listening but they are very limited in terms of output before distortion becomes and issue whereas this coax has the same lack of lobbing issues and goes loud.

Last edited:
But there is one massive flaw with the Beta10CX that makes it non HI-FI in my opinion and that is that above 5kHz the on and off axis frequency responses are totally different!

I'm not getting that with my 10CX. My on-axis measurements are quite outstanding actually. Maybe there's an issue with the ASD1001 or the crossover. Can you post your on-axis and off-axis responses?

Whenever there's a compression driver/horn involved, it becomes a bit tricky. Good measuring equipment is essential. Once you know the behaviour of the horn/driver combo, you can then deal with it.

I was quite surprised that I didn't have to use L-pads for the Peavey RX14. Either the Rx14 sensitivity matches the 10CX or this particular RX14 that I'm using has a sensitivity issue.

In any event, I'll be comparing it with a new RX14 that I just purchased. It'll be interesting to see whether the sensitivities are the same.

Later, with more time in hand, I will be testing the 10CX with a Selenium D220. I should be able to cross at 1K5 to 1K8. It all depends on the horn.

ivanlukic

Just did some comparative tests on sensitivity. They are taken at much lower than 2.83V to preserve my sanity. Amplifier output is however constant for all three plots, so what we have is relative loudness. A Pyle PH612 horn was used throughout. Active crossover was set at 1kHz (18dB/oct).

The Red trace is my old RX14. The Brown trace is a brand new RX14 and the Blue trace is a new Selenium D220Ti.

Looks like the new RX14 is about 5dB louder than the old one. I don't really know why. Maybe it needs a new diaphragm. At least the responses of both of them are similar. I will be re-testing the my 10CX with the new RX14 for L-pads.

It's interesting to note the Selenium is even louder than the RX14. The response is also flatter from 1.5kHz - 10kHz.

Attachments

• RX14_PH612_1K.jpg
    RX14_PH612_1K.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 803
ivanlukic

Just did some comparative tests on sensitivity. They are taken at much lower than 2.83V to preserve my sanity. Amplifier output is however constant for all three plots, so what we have is relative loudness. A Pyle PH612 horn was used throughout. Active crossover was set at 1kHz (18dB/oct).

The Red trace is my old RX14. The Brown trace is a brand new RX14 and the Blue trace is a new Selenium D220Ti.

Looks like the new RX14 is about 5dB louder than the old one. I don't really know why. Maybe it needs a new diaphragm. At least the responses of both of them are similar. I will be re-testing the my 10CX with the new RX14 for L-pads.

It's interesting to note the Selenium is even louder than the RX14. The response is also flatter from 1.5kHz - 10kHz.

I hoped that may be Peavey deliberately lowered the sensitivity for HF driver to match better with majority of woofers. But obviously that was just my wish. At least response is good when used with Beta 10CX. Inconsistency in sensitivity is irritating. I am interested in results with Selenium.

Michael, how do these compare to the Radians? Radians worth the extra money?

Hi winslow

I can't really give you an answer because I don't have the Radian 10" coax to compare with. They used to make them many years back, like in the 90s', but I think they only manufacture the 8" and 12" coaxials nowadays.

When compared to my 8" and 12" Radians, the Radians sound nicer because of their compression drivers. Even if you were to fit the 10CX with a Radian 450PB, I believe the Radian Coax is still better. If my memory serves me correctly, the Radian horn has a smoother response.

Hello,
I'm interested in using the Beta 10 coaxial and came across this thread in doing a little research. My intent is not to take you away from your current objective but I do hope you might have some insight on using the CTS KSN-1188 Piezo tweeter with the Beta. CTS KSN-1142 piezo supertweeter - CTS KSN-1142 piezo supertweeter for all high frequency speaker applications. CTS KSN-1142 piezo tweeters in stock.

In front of these units would be Eminence's XP Lpad
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-660
controlled by the Behringer 2496.

Is there a simple answer on if this combination will work? Our goal isent ultra Hi Fi, Mid Fi with some control is acceptable in this application.
Thank you,
Marko

Hello,
I do hope you might have some insight on using the CTS KSN-1188 Piezo tweeter with the Beta. ...

Is there a simple answer on if this combination will work? Our goal isent ultra Hi Fi, Mid Fi with some control is acceptable in this application.
Thank you,
Marko

Hello Marko

Personally, I've never tried the CTS Piezo tweeter. It certainly looks interesting. If not for the price, I would purchase one for testing.

I'm quite sure the CTS will work with the 10CX. However, you'll need to do some measurements to determine the response and cut-off frequency. Once you know the behaviour of the piezo with the 10CX horn, you can then select the optimum crossover frequency with the Behringer 2496.

I'm not following with the L-pad. With the 2496, you will be bi-amping. Tweeter volume can be adjusted with a pot at the front end of the power amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.