Eminence Alpha 15" has bass in OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suspect that other people's measurements better reflect real life situation. My guess is that at 1watt. The speaker is clipping. See my previous post. After all at 1kHz it is almost 100db. Threhold of ear damage through long term exposure is 80db. So very likely most people would be listening and measuring it closer to 0.1watt or less. Without the speaker clipping, i reckon the graph would be flatter....

Oon

The published sensitivity and response curve are useless when you use it on OB, so, let's just drop it.

Suggestions:

Use (or borrow) some other boxed speakers (subs) to play some bass rich music in your place as loud as you need, measure the SPL in LF.

I remember there's a spreadsheet or S/W for calcuating OB's LF SPL somewhere. Plug the cone area and Xmax into that calcuator to see if it fullfill your requirement.

Alpha 15 has only 3.x mm Xmax, which is small. So I'm afraid it's not capable of doing loud and low at the same time on OB. Probably very limited SPL under 40Hz. Whether it's enough or not is up to you.

Here is what the predicted response is according to Thorsten Loesch's excellent XLBaffle spreadsheet. The parameters and conditions is seen in the first pic.

In room response:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In room power response:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Deon

PS. Low-end power response is limited because I used X-Max and not X-Mech in the calculations.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.