Ellipsoidal reflector-building one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a top view of it, you can really see that it isn't polished at all but that is all about to change!

Attachments

• pict1031.jpg
    pict1031.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 457
I started wet grinding it with 400 size but after a while did I realize that this would take too many hours and I were under time stress. I did this in my fathers thin metal workshop and I can tell you that I had to explain the principles of an ellipsoidial reflector at least 10 times! thereby the nice scetches on the paper

Attachments

• pict1033.jpg
    pict1033.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 425
It was a shame that I did not have time to test the projector out when I was at home with the parents...and now am I stuck at the uni for another 2 months so I can't really build much until summer, but then fortunantly it will be ready! Here is another view of the reflector, if it works well is the next step to chrome the aluminium so it won't oxidize which it will do right now

Attachments

• pict1049.jpg
    pict1049.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 523
It's true that there is an wire, but because the light diverges to a focus doesn't it really matter that much. At least I think so. It's just a shame that I wasn't able to complete the projector in time... :(
I'll look into the G12 bulbs I think it'll be fairly easy to convert the lamp holders if i was interested in that!

build a ellipsoidal projector using a printer !!

i thing that is possible do a correct geometry for a ellipsoidal from a cad soft .
next you create the geometry . print it and past over a plate. netx cut over the line .
this plate has de path correct.!!
next put to turn arroung a axis .
i have a not bad idea about how do it !
my apology for my horrible inglish.
:D

Attachments

• fundamental geometria.gif
    fundamental geometria.gif
    72.8 KB · Views: 274
more pictures

if we make a big ellipsoidal reflector .
is possible do a projector fresnel less. beause the ray go direct to the triplet.
like show a simulation in the follow pictures.
if the idea are for you interesting .then show you my advances.

Attachments

• elipse3d.jpeg
    elipse3d.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 279
That will work if your LCD has a viewing angle large enough to pass most of the rays in the corners. Many LCDs do not have a very good response to rays passing through at angles very far from 90 degrees. If that is true for your LCD, you can still use an elliptical reflector and two fresnels. You use the reflector to focus all the light on a point between the lamp and the first fresnel. This point should be at the focal length of the first fresnel, so the rays on the other side of the fresnel are all parallel. Then they pass through the LCD pixels at a 90 degree angle, and enter the second fresnel. That fresnel refracts them to enter the triplet.

yes correct observation

yes very interesting obsevation .
my lcd has an wide angle obsevation. and i hope that works for my diy project.
if i in the correct will get more lumens output .
while shows more picture .
i draw the device that allow to create a ellipsoidal container recesed
made with a materal moldable .
next of solidification . i will paste over de internal surface a film
mirroring .

Attachments

• ellipse generator.gif
    ellipse generator.gif
    42.5 KB · Views: 265
assembly turn on

this picture is a simulated ray trace when the lamp is turn on and correctly placed coincident with the focal distance of this ellipse.
you see that a few ray go outside of the triplets.
but the most rays enters inside triplets.

Attachments

• assembly turn on.jpg
    assembly turn on.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 276
What kind of material will you use for molding the mirror shape? Fiberglass is very strong and lightweight, but then you will have to paste on mirror film.

If you can form the shape in metal, you might be able to polish it or have it silver plated. Aluminum can be 95% reflective and silver can be 98.5% reflective.

Hello.
I thought about doing a body made of plaster.
gypsum resists temperatures and is lightweight.

then paste any reflective material.
there are also paintings mirror.
but not if they are good.

achieve the coating is my biggest problem at this stage.

cover inside the ellipse with a sheet is difficult.
because they wrinkle. the foil.

I think the reflective paint is not very good. It looks shiney and "silver color" but it is really just grey with a gloss surface. You actually get more light from a bright white surface, but the rays go off in all directions. That defeats the purpose of using a reflector.

I would suggest pasting on very small pieces (maybe 1 cm x 1 cm) of either aluminized mylar film or aluminum foil. Or maybe you could find small square pieces of mirror glass or mirror plastic, like they use for disco mirror balls.

Another way to make a reflector is to carve out a wood mold for a small section of the mirror, parhaps 1/8th of the way around the axis of the elipse. Then you start with a triangle of thin soft copper sheet and use a padded hammer to make it fit the mold, with some tabs folded over the edges. You make enough of those (8 for this example) and then punch holes in the edge tabs and rivet or bolt them together. This gives you are fairly rigid elipse made of copper. Then you take it to a plating shop to have a coat of silver added and the inside surface polished.

good idea !!

this follow proposition that you give me is very intesting for my .
"Another way to make a reflector is to carve out a wood mold for a small section of the mirror, parhaps 1/8th of the way around the axis of the elipse."
but not will use wood . i need use a plastic epoxi . for made de shape ellipsodal . a mother mold.
would make a piece male and one female.
with this obtain like you tellme a portion of the ellipse . such as 1/8th.

could even use aluminum foil mirror.
if the pieces obtained.
have nerves. then can maintain its shape.
hope .
unfortunately. on Tuesday
I have to do operate in some of my feet.
but while I will continue to repose with the drawings.

thank you for opinion .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.