ELEKIT TU-8800 SET AMP

I built one a couple of years ago and have not found anything that I like better.
My review here: TU-8800
The only thing I have done is to paint the metalwork black.
Right now I have the new McGary SE-1E a $6k amp and I prefer TU-8800
The McGary is supposed to be 40 watts.
The TU8800 plays very well on my Quad 57's and on my Volti Razz

Paul,
Nice to hear from you again. I've been dragging my 8800 around Milwaukee listening to it on different friend's speakers. This amp with his Altec's made them smooth, articulate, and dynamic! Very enjoyable combo. He will appreciate your review. I sent it to him. I'm wanting some Orangutan's for the 8800, but am keeping my wallet in my pocket for now!
Andy

PS. Are either you or Victor aware of a detailed comparison of the 8800 vs. 8600?

I had the chance of getting 8800 with Lundahl trannys amp here for a few weeks and did not like it. So, after chatting with Victor about my concerns he suggested the 8800. I am forever glad he did. I think Victor is one of the good guys out there and because of this, I decided on the KT88 SET.
I know the 8600 got good reviews but I found it soft at both ends. 300b SET's can be lively and still have the warm lush 300b sound but it takes a very big and stiff power supply to do this like in the BorderPatrol amps but these are very expensive. The 8800 is very lively and is very smooth and warm sounding. It seems to be the perfect combination of attributes I was looking for. Much more pure sounding than any of the PP amps I have had.
What still blows me away is how the 8800 drives the Quads which are 87db efficient. The Volti Razz are 97db efficient. The 8800 drives both these speakers very well. The McGary sits on the shelf.

There are lots of upgrades from stock. I would not do less than the Lundahl output transformers and the better resistors. The cap and tube upgrades can easily be done afterward. The 8800 uses 6550 family of output tubes, anything from 6L6 to KT90. the 8600 uses 300B output tubes and is a simpler build. I just did not like the sound.

Got my 8800 playing after taking my time over 2 weeks to build it. You can see how the design of the chassis and parts layout and troubleshooting steps have progressed from 8800 to 8600 and 8900. The 8800 is not without fault - triode / ultra linear switch is so close to the rear of the power tubes, it is really difficult accessing it without burning yourself. The color scheme leaves a lot to be desired. The 8800 is my first build with Jupiter caps so I am interested to hear it after 100 hours. I like 300B and 2A3 tubes for vocals, jazz and blues, going back to KT88 for rock Is just special. I have been collecting 12AT7 tubes and their variants for over a decade and now I can finally use them. Don’t know if Victor has any stock of 8800 left but if he does I encourage you to get it. You not going to get the full power of the KT tubes however the vast range of tubes it can use is impressive.

Last edited:
Is there enough space to fit a motorized volume pot? Such as this? https://www.hificollective.co.uk/potentiometers/tkd-2cp-2511-mc-motorised-potentiometer.html

I have a nice Khozmo here, but it doesn't look like it would fit.

I love Elekit. However, I wish they left. more room in the front of the chassis for accommodating a motorized volume pot for remote control operation. I've been clamoring for this for 3 different builds over 5 years. Here's to wishing!

I completed my Elekit TU-8800 with match pair Sofia Electric KT88, Tung-Sol 12AT7 and Audio Note coupling caps. I measured voltages is a little bit higher as stated in the manual. So far I'm impressed with the sound compared to my old Elekit TU-8200R this is a keeper :)

Attachments

• IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg