"electronic" music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Would you agree that all which is described as electronic music today started with Donna Summer and "I Feel Love" track back in '70s?"

NO!

"electronic" music has a long history - way before Donna! - I think it is fair to say that the invention of voltage control for synthesisers brought electronic music into the 'popular' arena - but there were many entirely electronic tracks produced even before this - the Teleharmonium being perhaps the first electronic sounds heard by a large audience.

Electronic music had its real start with Musique Concrete in the 30's and forties. It was given its name by Pierre Schaeffer.

Quote stolen from http://csunix1.lvc.edu/~snyder/em/schaef.html

Like many of the pioneers of electronic music, Schaeffer was not a musician. He received his diploma from L'Ecole Polytechnique in Paris, and did an apprenticeship at the Radiodiffusion-Television Francaises (RTF) which led to a full time job as an engineer and broadcaster. He was a member of the French resistance during the occupation of France by the Germans. He also was a writer and biographer.

After being rapidly promoted in 1942, at the age of 32, he persuaded the RTF corporation (which was under the control of the German occupying forces), to initiate the science of musical acoustics with himself as the director. He had at his disposal the resources of RTF such as phonograph turntables, disc recording devices, a direct disc cutting lathe, mixers, and a large library of sound effect records owned by the studio. Initially the new studio was known as Studio d'Essai and later renamed Club d'Essai.

Schaeffer spent months experimenting with the technology available to him. He discovered that he could lock-groove records. In other words, instead of spiraling toward the center of the record, the needle could be made to stay in one groove creating a loop. He was drawn to the possibility of isolating naturally produced sounds. This would lead eventually to the term 'Musique Concrete' which meant that the sounds were based on natural sounds recorded and played back in a musical context. He was influenced by Russolo and the Futurist Manifestos.

Electronic music became possible as a movement with the spread of radio stations through Europe and North America in the 1930s. For the first time a (relatively) large number of people had access to recording gear and the ways to mess with it.

Someone above (sorry forgot who) mentioned OHM: the early gurus of electronic music : 1948 - 1980 (ellipsis arts CD3670). THANKS! I hadn't known about it; I'll definely be picking it up.:cool:

as far as i know the first commonly heard electronic music piece was the Dr Who theme. by Delia Derbyshire, with assistant Dick Mills.

"There being no "synthesisers", the Workshop needed a source of electronic sound. They found this in a bank of twelve high-quality test tone generators, the usual function of which was to output various tones (square waves, sine waves) for passing through electronic circuits for testing gain, distortion and so on. They also had a couple of high-quality equalisers (again, test equipment - equalisers, or "tone controls", were not that easy to come by at the time) and a few other gadgets including a "wobbulator" (a low frequency oscillator) and a white noise generator.

Each sound in the Doctor Who theme was individually created using these instruments, and recorded to magnetic tape. By "each individual sound" I mean just that - each note was individually hand-crafted. The swooping sounds were created by manually adjusting the pitch of the oscillator to a carefully-timed pattern. The rhythmic hissing sounds were created by filtering white noise to "colour" it, as were the "bubbles" and "clouds". Examination of the original makeup tapes suggests that one of the two bass lines alone is a "concrete" sound, a plucked string sample."

everything you (n)ever wanted to know about Dr Who theme is here :)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Mark_Ayres/DWTheme.htm#Beginning

elizard said:

I second shpongle!!!
They are simply amazing. Some of their songs are like classical compositions in ways, having a great progression, and a beat that's not annoying like most other music.

I got Shpongle (Tales of Inexpressible) and they are great indeed. Icidentally, the spoken word on this album is from Terrance McKenna (the disc that a pic I posted previously).

I was less impressed with Infected Mushrooms and Juno Reactor (too monotonous).

The other ones I got recently are Death in Vegas- Scorpio Rising and Crystal Method - Legion of Boom and both are pretty good.

I reply to the original post here (the first on the list):

My all time favourite have been the old-school Jean-Michel Jarre.
He did incredible music with Oxygene and Equinoxe albums.

I have spent lots of efforts to do music to the same genre that I love so much. It is a pity that the genre is not more popular
because I feel that there must be others out there that
likes the old-school Jarre as well.

I also like Vangelis. I have been working with my Virus recently to recreate the authentic Vangelis CS-80 lead sound. Not 100% authentic yet, but sounds quite inspiring already. One problem though is that none of my keyboards send polyphonic aftertouch that gives character to the original Yamaha CS-80 sound.

I don't like the latest creations of Jarre, not at least that
much I liked the old Jarre. Oxygene 7-13 however was a great
album in my opinion and I would be really happy if there
would be a similar continued album for Equinoxe as well.

Best Wishes,
Karoliina
hobbyist musician http://www.ampcast.com/karoliina

Claude Challe

I strongly recommend albums by Claude Challe especially "Sun" and "Buddha Bar 2". The quality of the recording is one of the best I have heard.

Attachments

• challe2.jpg
    challe2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 131
Re: FSOL

gilid said:
Check out the Future Sound of London, especially the 2002 release 'The Isness'. A fascinating blend of electronics and acoustic instruments.

Agreed.
FSOL are quite special really.... i havnt heard much thats like them.

"The Isness" a lot of poeple will find really weird, esp the first half of the album, but the second half has some VERY nice music (Meadows, Divinity).

"Dead Cities" would have to be my FSOL fave album followed by the "Lifeforms" double CDs and "Accelerator".

Joined 2004
Paid Member
just caught this thread...

after nelson's oddly placed johnny depp quote :D a nice little bump though ;)

in addition to others mentioned (boards of canada, amon tobin(!!), autechre, talvin singh, etc)...some other greats to check out (and my favorites):

-wagon christ (aka: luke vibert) best album is musipal. a great recording too (which is nice) ;-)
-up, bustle, and out
-plaid
-two lone swordsmen
-trans am (have a great kraftwork cover)
-squarepusher
-roots manuva (ok...so it's hiphop, but he makes all his beats, and they're incredible)
-RJD2
-radian (just heard them. kind of a mix between autechre and boards of canada...if you *had* to label 'em)
-older mocean worker stuff (not so much the new)
-leftfield
-london funk allstars
-dj krush (new albums is great!!! he always does tracks w/ great japanese jazz musicians)
-dj wally
-coldcut!!!
-andrea parker
-9 lazy 9

anyhow...i could go on forever. there seems to be a lot of great music listed in this thread, and i just wanted to include some other great. hopefully it will just help someone find new music. i LOVE finding new stuff, and have gotten some great "leads" from this ongoing list...

now about that compilation...diy kicks :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
another thing

people were throwing about definitions of electronic...so i figured i'd add my 2 cents. it isn't a definition, per se...but the way i always think of it. seems to me that electronic musicians are the new composers of our day. not in the generic sense (as in anyone writing a song could be called a composer), but the more literal (ie: classical composers). blasphemy to some i would gather, but the scope of a lot of the music i love...is DEFINITELY on the level. the only difference is that they leave no chance for the orchestra to muck it up. they source all of the "instruments" (sounds, samples, live tracks, etc) that they need...and create the final piece. it affords more control, and allows them to tweak until they have *just* what they want.

anyhoo....

hey yoke or any other aphex fans out there do you know people who make songs like aphexs ploynomial c
the trouble with aphex he changes everything every five secs, even though everything he changes to is good, i kinda wish he did one album that was kinda similar/coherent like this song "polynomial C" i cant get enough of it, so i keep replaying the track over and over cause the other songs in the album are so different ....so if maybe u knew some one who had the same style of fast beats with those lush :drool: lush synths i would appreciate it:nod:

OzzieAudio said:
I can't believe that no one has so far mentioned Yello! These guys are the masters of melodic sampling and have been for many years. A lot of their stuff is also great for testing out your system and it even makes mediocre systems sound good! There's never a dull moment on a Yello CD.

heh, I second that!

I just got "Pocket Universe" and "One Second" recently (import), pocket universe is a bit dancy but one second has some very original tracks.

recomended listening

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.