Electronic Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My feeling is that using an active crossover and amp for tweeters is much more trouble than it is worth. Passive crossovers should not explode with high power... just use caps with appropriate voltage ratings. And with an active setup you should probably have a cap in series with the tweeter to protect from possible turn-on or turn-off thumps, so you're half way to a 12 dB/octave crossover anyway. Maybe the only real justifications for tweeter amps is if you're using something exotic like a SE class-A amp, or line-level processing (like a limiter) to protect the tweeters from overloads.

About rears... I suspect that's mainly a legacy from the days when 6x9s in the rear deck were the biggest speakers in a car and provided the bass that 3.5" dash speakers couldn't. This century, rear speakers ought to be used for surround sound, and head units should provide Dolby Digital & DTS or at least Dolby Surround.

Thanks

My feeling is that using an active crossover and amp for tweeters is much more trouble than it is worth. .

Thanks for that response.. I too was thinking of going with active and passive, IE: using a capacitor on the tweeter, and just feeding the signal from the amp directly to my speaker. This way setting the crossover will send mid/tweet but block the bass... then the capictor will keep the tweet from blowing. But yea thanks for that response. I am going to connect that powerAkustic as it were designed.. Sub, front, rear with each a separate amp on each.. Thanks for not just having a big ego about your system and saying get a new stereo, when the question was about crossovers and their properies ect..my car originally had the wire harness for rears, but they never installed them.. So thats why I asked, and everyone here says rears throw off the sound stage.

Lastly what are some good crossover points to start with if I decide to go this setup?

Last edited:
Crossover Installed

Well the power Akustic Came today. I installed it and was getting alternator noise. Couldnt get rid of it.. Finally I narrowed it down to being the eq, still had small amounts of noise so I installed a rca ground loop filter and its good. Also I temporarly (till I get another amp) wired all speakers @ 2ohm stereo to the kac-927 and it sounds amazing.. I just played with the xover till it sounded to my likings. I got the sub amp set at 150hz... and the Crossover is set to 80hz, Then other amp is set full with the highpass set to around 500hz and they handle alot of sound. I am not sure this is ideal, but so far with them house speakers install infront they mix quite well with the rears. Also I used an 11uf 30v capacitor from a pair of 6x9's to add the tweeter.. Will have to do another utube video so you all can see the difference. I will be adding another amp soon for the rears (possibly just a 4channel) but figured i would write back. Also is it ok to have the gains on the amp all the way up when using a crossover, and using the gains on the crossover to adjust the system? and lastly is 500-700hz good for 6" speakers all the way around if I have a sub producing the lower frequencys. Call me crazy but I have a 96 aspire and the stock sound just didnt cut it for me...My main problem was power, but to help I added a battery isolator, and separate battery for the amps (New larger wires). Also created a jump with large relay incase i get stranded LOL

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.