Electrocompaniet EC1 help requested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, all.

Doanh: May I too place a humble request for a copy of the Manual?

Jacco: I have an EC-1 which look identical to the pictured one.
However, mine has an MM/MC-switch on the back.
It also features an external PSU with only the rectifying inside the preamp itself.
Just re-capped mine, it sounds fantastic. Now I just have to find a new volume/balance potentiometer.

Best rgds/Beachmountain

Hello fellow EC-1 users!

I'm using a EC-1 preamp for several years now up until today when the external PS went up in smoke (actually the external supply is just a smallish torodial transformer)
Does any of you know about the specs of the aforementioned torodial or have a service or other manual at hand? It doesn't state any specification on the toroid or the PS board itself unfortunately.
Any help or pointing in the direction of whereabout to get help is very much appreciated. I'd love to use this preamp for many more hours of listening pleasure as I'm emotionally very much attached to it.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Hello surstommig,

The EC-1 does not originally have an outboard power supply.
So perhaps sometime in the past there was a problem with the original transformer and someone replaced this by an external one.

I had an EC-1 without a transformer (someone put a very small 2x 24VAC transformer in it, but that did obviously not work.

I bought a small toroid transformer of the correct size and removed the secondary winding. Then I rewound it by hand till I got 2x 43VAC. That is about the correct value. 2x 45VAC will do also.

The EC-1 certainly is sensitive to transformer hum, so had to orientate it to obtain minimum hum.
I suppose for the very same reason a former owner built the transformer externally.

Is it not possible to rewound the defective transformer? You can reasonably easy do it by hand. Winding wire can be bought in all diameters.
Just count the number of turns you unwind, and measure the diameter of the wire accurately and you are fit to go.

Success, Jac

Hello Jac

Thanks for your promt reply! Unfortunately the transformer is severly burnt and I don't trust myself to rewind it being in this poor condition.
I'll just get a new one since they are easy to obtain. Would you have any recommendations on the size, eg VA?

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated!

I used a 50 VA transformer for it.

You can measure the space available and compare that with available transformer sizes.

Please find attached a photo of an original transformer and a photo of the one I wound.

If you want to keep the transformer outboard, you are not restrained by a maximum size.
A bit larger in the VA-rating will never hurt.

Regards, Jac

Attachments

• 2007-08-10 EC1 25 in 1.jpg
    2007-08-10 EC1 25 in 1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 2008-05-31 EC1 364 compleet in 1.jpg
    2008-05-31 EC1 364 compleet in 1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 191
Hej Jac!

Thanks, you are saving me so much time! I'll go and look out for a transformer. I'll probably stay with the outboard solution, since the available room is tiny and I don't want to drill a hole into the chassis, since there is none where you mounted your transformer.

Please excuse my amateurish (stupid) question: Did I get this right, that you soldered the two black secondary leads together on the power input board?

No the secondary leads are not connected in parallel.
Only two wires of the 2 secondaries are connected, so that in fact you have a 90VAC center tapped winding.

The rectifiers and regulators on the pcb of the amp make approx. +50VDC and -50VDC of that.

Make careful notes of how the transformer is connected in the situation you have now, before you disconnect anything.

Hope the scans of some of my notes are helpful to you.

Jac

Attachments

• EC1 100325 rep 1.jpg
    EC1 100325 rep 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 192
  • EC1 100364 rep 4.jpg
    EC1 100364 rep 4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 174
Again I'm stuck with some obscurities and it seems that I do not fully understand your remarks.
I found an unused 2 x 24 V toroid. I was going to use that one, but now after re-reading your posts it seems that I cannot use that one for some reason I do not fully understand. I'm just too afraid to do anything wrong and jeopardize not only the great preamp but also my dear health.
So far I only have been tampering with phono preamps and building turntables. I do have a lot of respect for mains current and apparently I don't fully understand the very basics it is hard for me to trust my own abilities, so please excuse my double questionings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.