Electret microphone question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a general question with regard to very inexpensive electret mics
freely available . There is generally a FET inside the capsule itself for impedance conversion purposes.The question is: What is the quality of these FETs? Can we take them out and use them for for low noise audio applications(like front end of tape head amps etc?)
Members may please adivice

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
ashwick said:
This is a general question with regard to very inexpensive electret microphones. There is generally a FET inside the capsule itself for impedance conversion purposes. The question is: What is the quality of these FETs?

Because I need to make a microphone amplifier, I thought I'd try measuring the FET in a few capsules. The gate is effectively connected to the source internally, so Vgs = 0 and that's the only curve we can have. Here's a very cheap 3/8" capsule from Maplin. Note that the FET will be reasonably linear once Vds > 1V, but that Ids is only about 300uA. There's not going to be much gm in that FET, so we can expect plenty of noise...

Attachments

• maplin fs43 0.375 capsule.gif
    maplin fs43 0.375 capsule.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 204
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Here's a Panasonic WM60 1/4" capsule. The vertical scale is now 2mA (rather than 500uA) and with Ids four times greater at 1.3mA, we can expect twice the gm and commensurately lower noise. More interestingly, we need at least 5V across the capsule before we get proper performance out of the FET - no wonder the "recommended" circuit with only a volt or two performed so poorly! (The coggle at 2.52V is probably a measurement artefact.)

Attachments

• panasonic wm60 0.25 capsule.gif
    panasonic wm60 0.25 capsule.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 217
I'm working on a project to use 2 mce-4000 electret capsules inside a guitar body. I'm proposing to track core and sleeve signal cables to inputs on two preamp circuits ( see Simple Microphone Preamplifier ) . I want to get inouts from 2 different zones of the guitar , The outputs from the twin pre-amps will go into the line level inputs on my mixing desk. The mic inputs on the desk have 48v phantom power which I assume would toast the capsules hence the twin pre-amp approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.