• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL84's in Simple SE w Pin Adapter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I took a few voltage measurements with the 6П14ПEВ (EL84M) in my Simple SE. The socket adapters make for very easy voltage checks, since the legs of the 9 pin sockets are slightly exposed above the chassis. I have a two part cathode resistor - 250 ohms in series with another 510 ohms. Tonight I jumpered out the 510, leaving only the 250 ohms.

B+ is 329 VDC. Cathode voltage is 10.9 V on one channel, and 10.8 V on the other. This works out to 13.9 watts total dissipation in the tube, which might be a little higher than I'd like. Oh well. I think it does sound better than it did the previous night, before I jumpered the cathode resistors.

Thank you for the kind words, Neon. I started out building wooden stuff with framing lumber, a circular saw, and deck screws. It looked like hell. Just keep building stuff. Take care in your work, but never worry about how it will turn out. Consider every project a learning experience to help you practice new techniques. Kinda like building amps. I think I still have a lot of room for improvement, but I'm still happy with what I can do today. Anything you build yourself will (almost) always sound better. :D

B+ is 329 VDC. Cathode voltage is 10.9 V on one channel, and 10.8 V on the other. This works out to 13.9 watts total dissipation in the tube, which might be a little higher than I'd like.

If you are so inclined try JJ EL84's. THey are the abuse king in my Simple P-P's. They sound good too. I run them on 350 volts of B+ with a 270 ohm cathode resistor. No plate or screen glow. They are wired in pentode with screen voltage = B+, so triode or UL should be OK.

I have another set in another Simple P-P with the screens at 320 volts and the plates at 430 volts! I get 30 watts out of a pair and still there is no glow!

If you are so inclined try JJ EL84's... I run them on 350 volts of B+ with a 270 ohm cathode resistor. They are wired in pentode with screen voltage = B+...

I've been watching eBay for a cheap set, but haven't found them yet. I think I've got a lone JJ EL84 in my pile, but only one doesn't do me much good. Someday I'll get at least a pair, preferably a full quad.

I eased back on the cathode resistors and jumpered for 510 ohms. Cathode voltage is 13.8 volts, which gives a nice and easy 8.5 watts total dissipation. I think it might sound better than it did last night, too. I'd better be careful, or I might get used to these little tubes in my Simple SE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.