• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 driving EL84 SEP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Tin,

I don't have the knowledge to comment on that but I have seen standard designs where the author has decided that a pentode tube run in pentode mode offered the best sound for that application.

yes, yes, its probably a fine amp, simple and cheap to build

and maybe I have misunderstood what I read about the distortion cancelling of triodes
maybe it meant that the Sakuma principle has more effect on genuine triodes, distortion wise
meaning that pentodes have a more effective principle of their own to lower distortion, UL(ultra linear)

I might suspect that one reason this amp was found to sound better in pentode, could be power related
I dont know if there are any standard SE opt with UL tap, but might have been worth a try
one reason why I suggested to make it pushpull
but as you said, not in the cards

just for your 'study', this one is equally simple http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Jochen-Wankmiller-Trion-Amp/Trion34MKII.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.