EL70 Floor-standing Choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eric - Dave said they should be similar and from my brief listen with the baffles lightly clamped in place I think that should hold true. I use a set of mMar-Kel70's in the house on a daily basis. The improvement in sound going from the smaller mMar to the Mar is there on these floor standing speakers as well.

I've attached a preview pic from my phone.

KM

Attachments

• Photo Jul 11, 10 48 29 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 11, 10 48 29 PM.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 332
Eric - Dave said they should be similar and from my brief listen with the baffles lightly clamped in place I think that should hold true. I use a set of mMar-Kel70's in the house on a daily basis. The improvement in sound going from the smaller mMar to the Mar is there on these floor standing speakers as well.

I've attached a preview pic from my phone.

KM

This is great news !! My concern was the way the floorstander was loading the driver vs the Onken loading style for the Mar speaker.

Thanks also for the pic.

Eric

This is great news !! My concern was the way the floorstander was loading the driver vs the Onken loading style for the Mar speaker.

Thanks also for the pic.

Eric

I built a pair of the slanted version of this design a couple of weeks ago while waiting for Dave to break-in 2 pairs of Alpair 12Ps for our MarKen and SuperPensil builds chronicled elsewhere. I should really start taking more pictures

I never ceased to be amazed at the performance of the EL70, in either single or dual implementation. If I was to characterize the flavour of this design vs the other 2 implementations of singles EL70 with which I'm most familiar (ie. the prime and milli "Kens" ), I'd have to say these are almost "pensilesque" - subjectively deeper bass extension / impact than either, and with the very narrow profile, much of the imaging of the millis - plus they don't need stands. ( an "audiophile grade" pair of stands can cost more to buy or build than the enclosures and drivers)

Looks interesting, could be this is the new 'home' I need for my EL-70's.

The tall aspect ratio - doesn't look like an onken/reflex would be possible, more likely a TL-type. Will wait for further details....

hence the characterization as "pensilesque" (almost a trademark of Mark's? ;) )

As these are not particularly tall, I'd opt for the 5deg tilted version, and they're certainly small enough footprint to benefit from widened base plate - which I think as with the Pensil 7s better suits the aesthetics than outriggers, such as for the FH3 / Maeshowe/ Valiants etc.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The tall aspect ratio - doesn't look like an onken/reflex would be possible, more likely a TL-type. Will wait for further details....

Not a TL-type. A miniOnken in the vein of the CGRs.

At one point Zia asked how the trapezoid floorstanders Bernie did in solid yellow cedar sounded. The answer was, "like a Mar-Kel70".

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

oooh, I see some nice biggie Onken's in that photo :)

CGR .... ? ah got it - golden ratio!

As these are not particularly tall, I'd opt for the 5deg tilted version, and they're certainly small enough footprint to benefit from widened base plate .

Yes - I really like the base plate. I have some commercial speakers that would benefit from such an approach.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those slanties look great!
Do I spy a Sherwood dual-mono Hitachi lateral mosfet power amp on top of your "push push" plate amps? :D

Do you have more info?

Mine is a Sears branded unit. We figure made by Hitachi. And indeed 150w/channel dual mono mosfet amp. One of my least expensive aquisitions (-$400) and very good even before the boy genius went thru it.

dave

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Do you have more info?

Even more of a rare sleeper there. LXI Executive Series, right? I spent about a whole year trying to land a good example of one of those, back when I drooled over vintage mosfet amps. Never got one. The original Sherwood model is S-6040CP. Here is an old thread in AudioKarma about it. Wualta is a member here, too, I think. He could probably tell you a lot more.
Sherwood S-6040CP MOSFET amp arrives - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

My EL-70's aren't quite sensitive enough for my current SET amp but they are doing their best in as main speakers and have broken-in a little bit more over the past few weeks. I will be interested to compare my EL-70's with a 15" unit to hear these differences in my own listening environment. No doubt they'll both have their pro's and con's.

My EL-70's aren't quite sensitive enough for my current SET amp but they are doing their best in as main speakers and have broken-in a little bit more over the past few weeks. I will be interested to compare my EL-70's with a 15" unit to hear these differences in my own listening environment. No doubt they'll both have their pro's and con's.

That's gonna be an AudioNirvana 15", IINM? Quite different from an Eminence PA driver- we'll all be interested in your impressions, particularly in the areas that your hearing is most sensitive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.