El Pipe-O is up at www.passdiy.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came back from the Home Depot with the tubes for El-Pipe-O. I showed them to my sons. As I was leaving to put them in the work shop they said "I think dad has gone insane.". We'll see after I get that 4000 watt peak subwoofer amp going. Is that El-Pipe-O V.2 ?

Resonance?

I was under the impression that a crucial feature of transmission line designs was the lack of parallel faces, in order to remove as many structure resonances as possible. All the MDF jigsaw-nightmare transmission-line designs I've seen have obviously taken care to flare the line in some way or another. So what about el-pipe-o? Is it a case of just living with the resonance as the price for such a convenient building material, or is there something more subtle going on here? If the batting packing can remove the resonances well enough, then why do the woodshop guys go through such pains to avoid parallel faces?

I'm lookiing at building a scaled down version of these monsters to back up some electrostatic panels, and I'd like to make the proper informed decisions now, before I start buying and constructing. Thanks for the info.
- Jonathan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Resonance?

G-Daddy said:
I was under the impression that a crucial feature of transmission line designs was the lack of parallel faces, in order to remove as many structure resonances as possible.

That is really a side effect and not a purpose. It has been recently shown that a T-Line is just a name applied to a subset of quarter-wave speaker designs (includes Voigt pipes & horns). A TL is usually that subset that have no taper (straight pipe to designs that have a taper going from large (closed end) to small (open end). In a tapered line the geometry acts as a high pass filter for the terminus output, and moves the lines resonant frequency downward yielding a shorter (not necessarily smaller) line. Folding the taper into a rectangular box results in a box with 2 non-parallel sides and bracing running the long length of the cabinet at an angle -- both positive attributes that can be incorporated into any enclosure.

In el pipe-o the side-to-side standing wave of 2 feet is short enuff that it shouldn't be an issue given the frequencies it operates at or given the amount of stuffing in the line.

dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To put a finer point on it, you will experience a resonance
at 1/2 wavelength for the diameter of the cylindrical pipe
which in this case is around 275 Hz. With a low pass filter
beginning at 22 Hz and stuffed with Dacron (tm), the
excitation at this frequency is slight.

temptation

xsnailx said:
Nelson,
I didnt want to tempt any one ;)
just tried to go further than aleph diesel:) and write something funny
but if i offended someone by writing this
i say sorry and i won't do it anymore

Hi xsnailx,

Maybe NP fears a new design by cyclotronguy, which he has
to declare to some officials in the government and to customers
when he wants to sell that ALEPH 239 (Plutonium)
:clown: :clown: :clown:

Uli

I'm thinking a simple"flash reactor in the basement" Several thousand kilo-rad of neutron flux would be 'bout right for food storage. Could take the waste heat run an absorber..... drive a chiller into a thermal mass and cool the house in summer. Light from electrons jumping orbitals. endless possibilities.

Cyclotronguy:cool:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
cyclotronguy said:
I'm thinking a simple"flash reactor in the basement" Several thousand kilo-rad of neutron flux would be 'bout right for food storage. Could take the waste heat run an absorber..... drive a chiller into a thermal mass and cool the house in summer. Light from electrons jumping orbitals. endless possibilities.

Cyclotronguy:cool:
Mmuuuhaha, It Starts!:devilr:

Quote from el-pipe-o article

If you have an 8 foot ceiling, you can make two out of a 12 foot piece of 8 inch diameter, and find yourself decent 8 inch woofers resonant at about 40 Hz. Then you can start having parties, too.

Is this woofer okay for the application: PIONEER B20FU20-54F. The stereo pair will be driven by a 50-100w per channel stereo amp. Also, the low pass filter used with the original el-pipe-o is 12dB low-pass to provide a 13-75Hz response. Does this imply that I should use approx 40Hz 12dB low pass with the 8" woofer? Is such a low cutoof required to equilize the woofer response? Will a low Xmax woofer like the Pioneer mentioned above behave well in this kind of a situation? Any other suggestions for 8" driver appereciated...

Also, Nelson, pl, pl, please: give us the AXO :bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.