• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Effect of cross-coupled "local" FB on plate load of previous stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

ray_moth said:
My only remaining problem with his circuit, now that I understand it better, is the low level of bias on the first stage. I measured only 0.5 v between each 6SL7 cathode and ground. This would not allow a big enough input signal, as I understand it.

Remember, there is local feedback and a negative supply....

Sayonara

PS, trust me, this circuit works as drawn and very well indeed.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Remember, there is local feedback and a negative supply....

I'm sorry, I don't see how that helps ... unless you're implying that the unbypassed individual resistors in the 6SL7 cathodes allow the cathode potential to "follow" the grid potential, thereby "opening up" the bias, so as to make it effectively much greater than it appears to be? Or does the "long tail" do that anyway? (I'm rather uncertain about this, I must admit.):xeye:

Konnichiwa,

ray_moth said:
I'm sorry, I don't see how that helps ... unless you're implying that the unbypassed individual resistors in the 6SL7 cathodes allow the cathode potential to "follow" the grid potential, thereby "opening up" the bias, so as to make it effectively much greater than it appears to be? Or does the "long tail" do that anyway? (I'm rather uncertain about this, I must admit.):xeye:

Consider the cathode resistors to the negative supply as imperfect current sources. Consider the cathode coupled through a modertae value resistor value (1...2K in my case). Now consider what happens if the respective valve starts to conduct (both balanced and SE Drive).

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.