• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor PP 60w OPT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PP amp designed for hard rock/metal but that doesn't seem to be a very common design consideration for most tube amps out there

A well designed P-P amp should work with everything from mellow to metal, although many never see such use. The bass in some rock music requires a hefty OPT, while the transients of say Terry Bozzio's drums require a well designed amp and an OPT capable of good high frequency response.

All of my amps get tested with a wide variety of music. Everything from Norah Jones to Metallica to Depeche Mode, then I plug my guitar preamp in, set it on "Jimi" dial the volume up to 11 and beat on it for a while. That will find the weak spots.

I am in the process of developing a KT88 amp thet will make about 70 WPC in triode mode. Other builders can use the same driver board design for everything from a pair of 300B's to a quad of TV sweep tubes (good for LOUD rock). My end goal is a 500 WPC stereo tube amp. It will likely use this driver board. It's still in the early stages, but check this thread out to see if it interests you:

Tubelab Universal Driver Board, 2015 version

Another possibility is Pete Millett's Engineers Amp. It masquerades as a mild mannered 18 WPC amp, but can be hot rodded easilly into the 50 to 125 WPC range. I published the recipe for a 125 WPC version and at least a dozen builders made one....I built 3. Rock? yes it does......really loud, feet from the stage at a Metallica show kinda loud.....except without the pyro (Load tour).

The 125 WPC mods are buried somewhere in this long thread:

Posted new P-P power amp design

A well designed P-P amp should work with everything from mellow to metal, although many never see such use. The bass in some rock music requires a hefty OPT, while the transients of say Terry Bozzio's drums require a well designed amp and an OPT capable of good high frequency response.

All of my amps get tested with a wide variety of music. Everything from Norah Jones to Metallica to Depeche Mode, then I plug my guitar preamp in, set it on "Jimi" dial the volume up to 11 and beat on it for a while. That will find the weak spots.

I am in the process of developing a KT88 amp thet will make about 70 WPC in triode mode. Other builders can use the same driver board design for everything from a pair of 300B's to a quad of TV sweep tubes (good for LOUD rock). My end goal is a 500 WPC stereo tube amp. It will likely use this driver board. It's still in the early stages, but check this thread out to see if it interests you:

Tubelab Universal Driver Board, 2015 version

Another possibility is Pete Millett's Engineers Amp. It masquerades as a mild mannered 18 WPC amp, but can be hot rodded easilly into the 50 to 125 WPC range. I published the recipe for a 125 WPC version and at least a dozen builders made one....I built 3. Rock? yes it does......really loud, feet from the stage at a Metallica show kinda loud.....except without the pyro (Load tour).

The 125 WPC mods are buried somewhere in this long thread:

Posted new P-P power amp design

I did read through that thread while searching for answers. The universality of that board scares me a bit when it comes to adapting it to fit my specific needs. Lots of flexibility = lots of room for error from someone without enough knowledge such as myself. As much as I appreciate you and Pete's efforts for the DIY community, I might need a bit more hand holding for now compared to many others here.

I don't need much power. I live in a small condo; 500WPC would have the condo board back charging me for structural damage. I just need a clean schematic to follow.

I finally thought of a good use for these - I'm going to make a PP amp using 2E25 tube in UL mode. I will probably use Electraprint interstage transformers driven by 6J51p (or something else). I haven't seen this tube used much, but they are cheap and have a beautiful TT filament!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.