• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor CXSE25-8-5K Dimensions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here you go.

Sal

Attachments

• cxse25-8-5k.jpg
    cxse25-8-5k.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 299
Sal Brisindi said:
Here you go.

Sal

Yeah, look at those dimensions and then click on the PDF. :) I started doing chassis layout and realized that those dimensions didn't jive with what I have read about these transformers on George's site when compared to what I am used to (Hammonds). They seemed too big.

The last couple of batches of Hammond power transformers have been very disappointing and I don't plan to buy any more of them. They are running hotter than ever (both temperature and voltage), which screams to me that they are cheaping-out on windings. Given what they cost, it's more than a bit sad.

I'm going to build an all-Edcor Simple SE and in fact I just put in the order with Edcor (they were very friendly and helpful). I've been searching for a simple SE design and George certainly hands this one over on a silver platter with his handy PCBs and super-ultra-detailed instructions. I've built more than a few PP amps but I have never manged to finish an SE design. I am sort of "over" the whole ultra-high-wattage thing, so building an 845 SE amp doesn't have to be my first anymore.

tubelab.com said:
I have a pair of the very first ones. They came in "pimp my ride" metallic blue. They are 3 7/8 inches wide, 4 1/2 inches deep, and 4 13/16 tall. The mounting hole pattern is 3 by 3 3/8 inches.

They have changed the color, but I doubt that they changed the size.

Thanks...that jives more closely to the PDF, which is what I ended up using.

Russ

They seemed too big.

They are big. Infact I would consider them overkill unless your planning to do a kt88, kt90 or 6550 simple SE optimized for pentode or UL mode.

I recently had them make me some custom OPT's and PT's for my 6c33c SE. Even full power (16Wrms) at 20Hz, the CXSE doesn't seem the slightest bit fatigued. I'm running the power transformer at the VA that I specified and it doesn't buzz and barley gets warmer than room temp. That's made in America for you, boy.

This is one happy customer. Edcor does not skimp on materials and the pricing is very easy on the pocket book. They are no longer "pimp my ride" metallic blue, the are now more of a smurf blue, maybe a little darker :D

They are big. Infact I would consider them overkill unless your planning to do a kt88, kt90 or 6550 simple SE optimized for pentode or UL mode.

Bring-up/break-in will happen with Chinese EL34s. After that I was planning to try everything I can throw at it from my stash, including Tungsol 6550 re-issues, SED KT-88s, KT-90s. I also have a pair of JJ 6L6GCs with no home. Then there are the 8417s,,,

I wanted to make sure the transformers could take a thrashing.

They are big. Infact I would consider them overkill...... I wanted to make sure the transformers could take a thrashing.

They are big but they sure sound nice. I had mine in a Simple SE, and I stuffed just about every tube that I could find into it. I have cranked over 100 mA through some EH KT88's and the big Edcors. They worked great. Then one day I got this idea, I wonder what Big Blue would sound like with 300B's.

What began as a clip lead experiment with the Edcors wired into a Tubelab SE with 300B's and then VT225's led to the decision to steal the Edcors from the Simple SE and build a new amp based on the Edcors and the VT225. So I dissected a perfectly good working Simple SE amp and started on the new amp just about a year ago. It was never finished due to all the "stuff" that happened last year. It is still on my short list of things to do.

The big Edcors are excellent sounding transformers and won't dissapoint if you have room for them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.