ECC82/12AU7 Line Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pft, another audiophile myth. I have yet to see this effect in an FFT, and even if it does do that, they are so far down that it doesn't matter. All single ended Class A amps, both pentode and triode, solid state or vacuum tube, will normally have the second harmonic dominant, followed by the third. All of the rest is just "grass" farther down.

No, the addition of higher order harmonics by NFB is a physical fact that can be proved mathematically.

Any feedback, however small, will create re-entrant distortion unless the forward path is distortionless.

The subjective and/or measurable result will be a discussion topic, i.e. if this is an audiophile myth or not, but I don't want introduce more polemic issues, so, if you want, I take that back...Eppur si muove...:D

Last edited:
What I meant, and what I said, was that any higher order harmonics added by feedback would be so far down that you can't hear them. Therefore, they are not important. In my research, and in my circuits, any higher harmonics added are miniscule and so far down that it does not matter at all. The benefits of feedback far outweigh any drawbacks.

I thought overall feedback run out of steam at high frequencies because of the low amplification of a triode. As a result only lower frequencies were corrected, as well as output impedance. Well, I've seen that somewhere long ago ;)

The software I use is Adobe Photoshop, it's commercial. Older versions (for Apple G5 computers for instance) can be had for almost free as these computers are redundant in Holland.

No, the addition of higher order harmonics by NFB is a physical fact that can be proved mathematically.

Any feedback, however small, will create re-entrant distortion unless the forward path is distortionless.

The subjective and/or measurable result will be a discussion topic, i.e. if this is an audiophile myth or not, but I don't want introduce more polemic issues, so, if you want, I take that back...Eppur si muove...:D

Mathematically speaking, there's even the probability this conversation isn't even taking place. That doesn't mean it has any influence on perceived reality.

Ah, but Popilin designs his amps based on theory, only.

As you don't know all my designs, this is a bit temerary claim. IMHO

If I were able to design an amplifier without theory, I would be a kind of "paranormal designer" and would be accused as a charlatan.

In the classical limit, GNF does work, and I also use it as a last resource, e.g. in PP amplifiers, mostly due to OPT nonlinearity and FR, does not make sense to me ruin an SRPP with GNF.

It can be said that it is a design criteria, or a theory-based prejudice if you want.

He doesn't allow little things like real life get in the way.:eek:

Mind you that I also design and build my own transformers, and, like capacitors, in the real life are not ideal devices.

Paradoxically, realize this, requires a lot of theory. ;)

Mathematically speaking, there's even the probability this conversation isn't even taking place. That doesn't mean it has any influence on perceived reality.

If you mean Quantum Mechanics, or even Philosophy, seems to me it is off topic, so no comments.

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Mind you that I also design and build my own transformers, and, like capacitors, in the real life are not ideal devices.

There are those who believe that a component (any component) is just what it is supposed to be and will conform to all mathematical models.

Then there are those who know from experience that no component is what it is supposed to be.

Nothing's ever perfect, accumulating imperfection after imperfection is not going to change that, is it?

Never mind, ;)

Hi Frank

Good to see you around here ! :)

Then there are those who know from experience that no component is what it is supposed to be.

I have nothing against experience, indeed I have quite of it, but, how these people do to know, e.g. that losses are related to linearity, without using theory? :confused:

Mind you that I have not the crystal ball, only paper and pencil. :D

Hi,

There are those who believe that a component (any component) is just what it is supposed to be and will conform to all mathematical models.

Nothing's ever perfect, accumulating imperfection after imperfection is not going to change that, is it?

Never mind, ;)

indeed, it is the actual working amplifiers that matter more than any mathematical models, we do indeed live in an imperfect world.....;)

Hi Frank

Good to see you around here ! :)

I have nothing against experience, indeed I have quite of it, but, how these people do to know, e.g. that losses are related to linearity, without using theory? :confused:

Mind you that I have not the crystal ball, only paper and pencil. :D

it takes more than a paper and pencil to build things.....

i am more concerned about Murphy, ignore him and the magic smoke makes an appearance....

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have nothing against experience, indeed I have quite of it, but, how these people do to know, e.g. that losses are related to linearity, without using theory?

Theory is your basis. Reality is more often than not different from pure mathematical approach.

Ask yourself: is a resistor just a R?, Is a capacitor just a C? Is a wire not composed of L, C and R?
And so on.

Ask yourself, is whatever you assume is scientifically proven actually true?
Or are these self-proclaimed scientist just feeling comfortable behind what they think is true?

Ciao, ;)

Theory is your basis. Reality is more often than not different from pure mathematical approach.

Reality is the true, theory is just an approximation.

Ask yourself: is a resistor just a R?, Is a capacitor just a C? Is a wire not composed of L, C and R?
And so on.

Can you answer these questions without using theory?

Ask yourself, is whatever you assume is scientifically proven actually true?
Or are these self-proclaimed scientist just feeling comfortable behind what they think is true?

Mind you that I am not a self-proclaimed scientist, I'm just a TV repairman. ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I must confess that I'm a bit dizzy with your actual circuit, if it is this, your first order high pass filter is determined by the network C1-R5//R6, then -3 dB frequency roll off, with C1=1 µF is

fo = 1 / (2 π R C) ≈ 16 Hz

With C1=4µ7

fo ≈ 3.4 Hz

Has the roll off a 3dB slope, starting a decade higher?

No, the slope is 6 dB / octave

One octave means a 2:1 ratio

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Heaters elevated by 100V, two days running.

Very nice !

How does it sounds ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.