Easy way to fry Rotel RCD855 - help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Great site you guys have here. I have often lurked around to find ideas and answers and found it very helpful.

I was hoping aparatusonitus would be kind enough to send me the service manual for the RCD-855 since I can not seem to find it in the links posted.
Mine has recently started to skip so I think it might be time to learn a little electronics since it is such a sweet player, and I really have no desire to purchase anything else.
My guess is the transport needs replacing, would you agree? I understand that this was a common transport used in many models around the time and that they are not too hard to come by in other, sometimes cheaper players.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and thanks for all your help.

Dan (daniel dot beach at dal dot ca)

Interesting comment on the lens cleaning...having worked on many players over the years, I can't say that it has ever produced results enough to change a "skipping" player, to one that works well.

Inspite of this, I have always provided this cleaning attitude for my customers as part of the regular service.

A skipping player is usually the result of a failing laser assembly, or failing components on the PC board with respect to the circuit encompassing that pick-up.

Also, there is a possibility of a failing capacitor on the laser head itself on the older CDM units from philips.

In any event, it never hurts to try the simple things first!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.