ears alone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends , does it sound bad if it looks bad ..:)

It must, I'm a bass player and most of my bass playing friends who are better then I am complain about my left hand moving too much.

I always tell them to listen to what is coming out of the speaker, that is more important then what my hands are doing.

Better players are just smoother. I envy those with talent.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And maybe prettier doesn't always sound better. Show me a fancy gold plated amp and I'll guess that it's going to sound worse than some dusty relic pulled from an old cinema. ;)

Now with all the hot girls singers these days, the music industry certainly thinks pretty sounds better.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Ok so are looks important?

How many people would put a rusty 1960's amp in their HIFI rack<<if they had one?(Not do it up) How many people have seen rebuilt 1960's tube amps and gone wow. (I have) and wanted one. It was a pair of Blue PYE HF25.

Now how much "high end" is built to look like the HIFI sportscar?

Ie you can't have one of these because they are wound in silver and you can't afford it! If "Hi end" was cheap we would all have one yes/no?

So ears alone, some Super fi I have listened to sounded rubbish. However it looked great, and part of me liked what I saw and wanted to like it!

So most people would think, its high end it MUST measure well so if it sounds good I'll have one! Perhaps thats why I had a Linn LP12 at home and thought the Spacedeck sounded better!

So ears alone, I liked the PYE. Looks I liked the PYE.
In the world of SS its not so bad if you have 10 Black boxes and then you only have the name :D all Alchemist Krakens aside!
Is this not also true with speakers! (Why could you never get the walnut/wood version of the black speakers?)

Hard to find parts seem to be in vogue, Partridge Transformers and now I notice paper insulation is in the back ground waiting to come forward.
Then of course there is the Name..anyone wondered if you could buy a Buggati amp what would it look like?

I was taken in by the looks of the audio research 845, then thought could I see it at home? Perhaps not but its an interesting statement..NB notice I don't mention the sound!
http://en.unisonresearch.com/147/absolute-845/

Does the sound or the looks sell this amp? Most people like the 211 tube why? Does it look nice, is it the look or the sound that initialises I want an amp with 211?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.