E-MU 1212M Sound Card Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mefistofelez said:
Gentleman,

sorry if this is off topic, but does anyone know if the card is supported under Linux?

Thank you,

M

Mostly, yes. I have an 1820M running under Ubuntu Studio. The only big limitations are
a) 44.1 or 48kHz only
b) only 16 bit output (I believe 24 bit is running for capture, though)
c) (maybe) I haven't gotten duplex to work well - it works, but i get lots of dropouts/xruns

Issues a and b are related in that they involve pairing internal 16 bit channels, so hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon. I'm not sure on c, though

I had to make a small tweak to the 1.0.15 Alsa sources to get multichannel playback working at 44.1, but aside from that I've gotten both analog and spdif output working fine. Using Jack and using dither on the output the sound quality is very good IMO.

I'm hoping that 1.0.16 addresses some of these issues, but it's useable enough as is.

You can spent those clocks an extra linear regulator 3v3 as I did. I think there were some ferrite beads before their Vcc, so simply remove that ferrite bead and hook in the separate 3V3. The frequency you set in Patchmix determines which is used as master clock.
I2S is of course accessible via the connection cable. Read the DAC and ADC datasheet to find out BCLK, LRCK, DATA, and MCK and hook up your DMM....

compressor

I was listening to Beethoven's 5th and feeling how my neighbor was going crazy slowly. I decided to use a software compressor which is a part of the PatchMix.
Overall, not bad at all. I used following parameters: Threshold=-18db, compression ratio=20:1, attack=10msec, release=200msec, predelay=3msec,
postgain=0db.

Now, one can argue that it is a blasphemy to use compressor on Beethoven, but on the other hand urban living has it's own challenges.

Hello,
I have 1212m rev 1 with FW port.
Looks like nice sounding card.
Anyway, in the last time, i have problem with one channel.
I'm using the cards analog outputs, unbalanced, and connected to the int amp CD input.
Anyway, problem is that the left channel has become obviously quieter than the right channel! Id say about 20db quieter. What can be the problem, please?
I experimented a little, and found out that when I take left TS connector and pull it about 1/2 inch out of the card, the sound becomes OK level. So, i would say that when using left TS the sound is attenuated about 20db but if using RS the sound is OK. On the right channel, the sound is the same level if the connector is fully put into the card (TS) as it is if I pull out connector about 1/2inch so it uses RS signal. I hope to help you with this to help me find a problem.
Also, I measured voltage on the outputs: right TS and RS have about 0mV while left RS have also 0mV but left TS have about 20mV.
Please, thanks for help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.