E-MU 0404 USB Modification?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thread is appreciated. Out of the blue, I had very low main output and one channel was out on the 3.5mm main output. Some quick research on here and from another thread by iko lead me to find muting transistors at Q56, 57, 58, 59, 60 and 61. One or two had failed but did not care to check - off the board they went! Problem solved :) Of course I get a turn on / off pop, no biggie. Just make sure the 0404 is on before turning anything else on. Love this little thing and glad to bring her back to life!

While I was in there, I went ahead and pulled D26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31 as previously outlined. Will post a pic if anyone needs assistance or has the same issue.

I was not able to test before and after results since it went down out of the blue. I cannot find a previous test of the unit itself in my system. I only ever did loop tests when I first received it to make sure all was OK and then again when I did the channel mod. Personally, I would rather have the protection in place in case I accidentally switch on the device while other equipment is on - just have to be careful now. If I knew the actual part they used, I would just replace them.

I can say, that days before it went - I could have sworn frequency response on the top end was being altered / cut to the point I was checking the settings on my active monitors to see if one of the kids had messed with them. I also had allergies at the time so chalked it up to that. Wish I would have taken measurements then. With the problem components out / all seems to sound perfectly normal now and I still have allergies. I do not want to mislead anyone as this may or may not be a symptom. Just an observation.

No indication of why it suddenly had an issue. I simply turned it on and noticed very low output and output gone from the left channel of the rear 3.5mm jack. I had updated PC drivers a few days before so I was chasing my tail. Hooked the 0404 up to my laptop and realized it was a hardware issue so I tore into it. Grateful that it was a quick and easy fix to get things rolling again!

Removed SOT-23 components can be seen here... They are all around the 6.3 and 3.5mm jacks. Muting devices start with Q and the diodes previously outlined start with D.
0404.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Gino, I know Stavanger from my sailing trips between the Netherlands and Norway. Nice place to live with all that water and nature around!

Let me share my experiences with driver installation for the EMU0404 USB on Windows 7 64-bit (AMD machine, not really relevant). Initially I had major problems in getting it recognized. These were mainly related to the USB3 drivers. So before proceeding please make sure you have the latest BIOS upgrade and USB mainboard drivers installed. It is also recommended to use a USB 2.0 port, and you may have to set the BIOS support for legacy USB or something similar. Then, you have to install ASIO support (I used Foobar2000 as player). Google and you will find a lot of info on the topic. You may also find this link useful.
After doing all of the the above, I finally got everything working perfectly under windows 7.

As an alternative, you may consider running Linux. I installed Ubuntu Studio 16 with lowlatency kernel on a 5 years old, very low spec netbook (Intel Atom, 1GB mem). The machine could hardly run Win XP. With Linux, it flies again! :) Disabled wireless networking interface (use wired Ethernet), speedstep (always max. CPU frequency), and PulseAudio.
The best thing is, that since the latest kernel update, automatic sample rate conversion is working (before the proper frequency had to be selected in the mixer).
EMU working perfecly, no hickups at any sample rate. Recording also appears to work fine. So I am not using Windows any more for audio.

Hope this may help you or others. Good luck!
Nijs

Hi, Gino, I know Stavanger from my sailing trips between the Netherlands and Norway. Nice place to live with all that water and nature around!

Hi Nijs ! thanks for the kind and valuable reply.
Yes. Nice place. A little on the cold side maybe ? But really excellent people. Very correct and educated.

Let me share my experiences with driver installation for the EMU0404 USB on Windows 7 64-bit (AMD machine, not really relevant). Initially I had major problems in getting it recognized. These were mainly related to the USB3 drivers. So before proceeding please make sure you have the latest BIOS upgrade and USB mainboard drivers installed. It is also recommended to use a USB 2.0 port, and you may have to set the BIOS support for legacy USB or something similar. Then, you have to install ASIO support (I used Foobar2000 as player). Google and you will find a lot of info on the topic. You may also find this link useful.
After doing all of the the above, I finally got everything working perfectly under windows 7.

Thanks a lot. I have to work a little then. I hoped it were easier because i am not an expert at all of pc.

As an alternative, you may consider running Linux. I installed Ubuntu Studio 16 with lowlatency kernel on a 5 years old, very low spec netbook (Intel Atom, 1GB mem). The machine could hardly run Win XP. With Linux, it flies again! :)

this is very interesting. I read a comment about Linux having a great potential for good sound given that has less processes going on ?
Instead in windows there are more programs working at the same time ?

Disabled wireless networking interface (use wired Ethernet), speedstep (always max. CPU frequency), and PulseAudio.
The best thing is, that since the latest kernel update, automatic sample rate conversion is working (before the proper frequency had to be selected in the mixer).
EMU working perfecly, no hickups at any sample rate. Recording also appears to work fine. So I am not using Windows any more for audio.
Hope this may help you or others. Good luck!
Nijs

Thanks a lot again Nijs ! i have really to study more Linux.
In the end i use the pc only for audio and a little video playback. As HTPC i mean. And i understand that there are also programs for recording.
I read that OS can have an impact on sound quality.
But while HW is in the end easier to understand OS is not. It is for experienced people.
And Linux has always both attracted and scared a little.
I will try it.
Thanks a lot again.
Kind regards, gino

Hi Guys,
sorry to pick up again this thread for a question.
I wonder what could be a nice way to power a usb powered audio interface.
I understand that usb bus power is low and dirty.
What is your solution ?
I am trying to build a +5VDC injector with this cable here.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the idea is to cut the power wires coming from the pc and place a female socket

41skqxEmXwL._SX342_.jpg

in order to be able inject some clean and powerful 5V.
I have already some nice 5V/3A smps to try.
So in the end i am here to get some kind advice about a nice 5VDC power supply solution.
Thanks a lot to All !
gino

Last edited:
Why is there always a generalisation that USB power is going to be dirty.... Is every source of USB power going to be the same... it seems to be a generalisation that is becoming a defacto audiophile myth... and if it is dirty (not often the case as gear has to pass EMC regs.) why not filter the noise with a SM choke or ferrite.....

Why is there always a generalisation that USB power is going to be dirty.... Is every source of USB power going to be the same... it seems to be a generalisation that is becoming a defacto audiophile myth... and if it is dirty (not often the case as gear has to pass EMC regs.) why not filter the noise with a SM choke or ferrite.....

Hi and yes this is a common opinion around
I cannot check because i do not have a scope but I understand that there is a limit of half ampere for port so only 2.5 VA available this is very little
I have 5V/3A switchers at hand maybe not very clean but very much stronger
Another solution could be a dual head usb cable?
Thanks and regards
Gino

If you mean the data wires, it doesn't. If you need data isolation or filtering there are products out there I can recommend. That's why I asked if you were using USB for audio or just power.

For USB data filter I have had success with the Audioquest jitterbug, and now have a USB Noise Filter Mechanism USB Stabilizer Cable AC Adapter Full Set | eBay

Haven't AB'd the "plate goodbye noises" yet but it measured a bit lower THD than without.

The one isolator I tried wreaked havoc on the measurements, and limited the audio to 48khz/32bit

If you mean the data wires, it doesn't. If you need data isolation or filtering there are products out there I can recommend. That's why I asked if you were using USB for audio or just power.

For USB data filter I have had success with the Audioquest jitterbug, and now have a USB Noise Filter Mechanism USB Stabilizer Cable AC Adapter Full Set | eBay

Haven't AB'd the "plate goodbye noises" yet but it measured a bit lower THD than without.

The one isolator I tried wreaked havoc on the measurements, and limited the audio to 48khz/32bit

Thanks a lot again
my main concern is electric isolation from the pc
I would like a cable that transfer only the signal from the pc downstream the chain and an auxiliary cable to inject the five volts
I don't see the reason of using both pc power and external injection
I have tried a galvanic isolator
Did not work like I thought
However I do not know if it's better to do this at the pc end or at the usb dac end

Last edited:
If you mean the power, it cuts off the power from the PC, replaces it with your "clean" power, and passes the data as normal. As far as I can tell.

Yes! I meant exactly that
I will buy it then
I have an interface that works only with a dual head cable but I prefer to try an external supply
I should get a very powerful one soon
I will do some tests with different psu compared to pc power
I am very curious
Thanks for the very useful advice
Kind regards gino

The Audioquest Jitterbug is a bit of a joke, look at the measurements out there, the layout.....
As to the other device, I doubt it will be any cleaner than the USB power from most computers....

If you don't know what you need to filter (frequency etc.) how can you filter it.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.