Dynamic range exhancer for an FM tuner

Thanks for the input, but you're trying to tell me to use a cheap USB device.. Me? I'm messing around with rolling op amps in the P3?
Well, let's say "I didnt know". There is an unknown and that's whether the audio dynamic range is even recoverable by any downstream signal processor. Perhaps you find out that it just cant be pulled back into shape to your liking, as other "molested" things can be once "dented".

Just trying to help out, really.

Sure, I could use that to make great 24/96 or 24/192 recordings off the tuner and then expand it in the digital realm.
That would be one way to see if the audio signal is recoverable, before making a hardware investment.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
@jjasniew

No insult meant. Thanks for the input.

Mostly, I want to make the FM tuner a little better sounding with the Rock Stations, the Pop Jazz is tolerable, the Classical is OK.

And I want to do it with period specific parts. That Phaselinear autocorrelator looks interesting because the "expander" is adjustable. It looks like I can get the unit for 150 or less, then do a complete rebuild inside to make it sound as bad as it did when it was new? ;)

BTW, how do I change the title of the thread?

Many years ago, I built an expander for a DIY receiver for a radio reporter transmitter with 2:1 dynamic range compression. I got the expansion ratio right, but apparently the other parameters weren't, because it always sounded a bit weird.

The point is that trying to correct for dynamic range compression with an expander may lead to disappointing results when the parameters of the expander don't match the compressor.

Edit: I see that jjasniew had already made the same point.

Edit: I see that jjasniew had already made the same point.
It's "try in software and if possibly doable, use that confidence to achieve in hardware".

But I understand tonyEE's point, of consistency in hardware presentation which something the Phase Llinear autocorrelator has - as does its mother, the model 4000 preamp having that function within it.

After all, these were fashioned after the famous Marantz model 7, which I actually had when I was a teenager - and lost like a girlfriend. With that same regret of not knowing what I had and carelessly let slip away.

Im pretty sure I've seen expanders on a very few tuners or recievers, but I doubt they are as pretty as yours. Might have been later Kenwood digital😄tuners.
The only two rock stations in my sorry country sucks all life out the music too. Not a big problem cause their music selection socks anyways. Oh. Except when they send nights with Alice Cooper😊

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's "try in software and if possibly doable, use that confidence to achieve in hardware".

But I understand tonyEE's point, of consistency in hardware presentation which something the Phase Llinear autocorrelator has - as does its mother, the model 4000 preamp having that function within it.

After all, these were fashioned after the famous Marantz model 7, which I actually had when I was a teenager - and lost like a girlfriend. With that same regret of not knowing what I had and carelessly let slip away.

The Phase Linear 4000 is a cool looking beast... with that joystick..

But I'm afraid I need to thread carefully with Quad. I already have a Marantz 4415 (with SAQ1 and CD400B) and an Akai AS980. All of it rebuilt. The only thing holding me up is the lack of a SQA2B and the need to build a 2nd turntable for quad.. Plus finding a room in the house that doesn't have a stereo.. 8 systems and counting! One of them is the 7.0 HT.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
^ exhancer....

@TNT figures... :eek::p I do call it expresso....

@adason The tuner was kept aligned by the previous owner who is an audio tuner collector. He likely Yes, I plan on having it fully rebuilt by a guy who's an expert in mid 70s Japanese units. That's in the plan. He's rebuilt all of my vintage units (No LED lighting). One of these days I might pick up a Luxman tubed integrated. His Luxmans (and Kenwoods) sound really good.

The KT9900 is very good. Don't knock it. The Magnum Dynalab is exceptional, but with the current state of FM stations I doubt if you can notice the difference. Besides, my KT9900 has THREE big meters. It has the same tuner as the US KT8300. And, IMHO, look better than the Magnum units. Which, to be honest was important, as the tuner sits in the living room and somewhat alleviates the industrial look of the rest of the racks.

The tuner is used mostly used for background music. It keeps my wife from running the darn TV all day long.

BTW: this is a good web site about audio tuners.

https://www.fmtunerinfo.com/tubetuners.html#MR65
I had kenwood briefly, replaced it with 9gang technics. Had that for long time, till i discovered sony. Now i have 5 (yes five) of the same sony tuners, one for each system.
Had many other tuners, lux, marantz, pereaux, nad, onkyo, all sold. Except i keep one magnum dynalab for nostalgia. Otherwise all sony. Just a random discussion from net.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406_195741_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_195741_Chrome.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hmm, I must admit I've never looked at the Sony tuner. They seem to be unloved. Mostly, I think, because they fell into the digital tuner era. Did you do anything to them?

BTW- I put a bit on a Phase Linear 1000 autocorrelator. 100 bucks on eBay. Seems to be in pretty good shape, we'll see. "Light turns on".. It's in the original box.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There's also the RG Dynamics Processor PRO-16 and PRO-20. Anyone know the difference?

My understanding then is that the Pioneer RG units were derived from the RG Dynamics processors. RG-1, RG-2, RG-9, RG-60, RG-70 and EX-9000.

Any ideas on them?

Hmmm

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...er-dynamic-processors-the-mother-lode.108864/

My only concern here is dealing eBay. I asked one seller if his Pioneer RG-9 was working at all, and in response he pulled the sale off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305466133350?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11050.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=b2a82a8ef4f8413c83fa110e3a9119e5&bu=43153410945&osub=-1~1&crd=20240406185802&segname=11050

Last edited:
Today there are SO MANY digital volume maximization products with thousands of presets + tailoring
that radio stations pick 'Their Sound' or a selection of 'Time-slot Sound' making de-coding essentially impossible.
As mentioned, today's compression is multi-band, once again making decoding/proper expansion impossible.
( the same applies to television channel sound )
See if you can find a (quite impressive) PIONEER RG-2 Dynamic Processor on Ebay :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I believe the Pioneer EX-9000 is multiband, but it's cheesy looking.

The RG-9 is classier LOOKING than the RG-2.

If I put the expander as an EPL in the preamp I could use it to process LPs as well.... of course, that will defeat the purpose of op-amp rolling the P3 and the fancy teflon caps in the preamp... Just a game really.

It will likely end up that the interconnects will be more expensive than the expander. Maybe I ought to update the caps to audiophile stuff?

Why not complain to the station? Maybe they don't even know that is still being done.
I'm pretty certain they know what's going on. I knew an FM chief
engineer who was VERY proud of his modulation and compression.
His TFT Technology modulation monitor had indicatiors you could
dial up in 1 percent increments. Set it to 99 percent and the lights
never went off. Set to 100 percent and the lights never came on.
Loudest station gets more listeners - makes more money.

Best station sound qualty wise was a bootleg operation in Glendale CA.
He had a CD player connected directly to the transmitter. My H-K Citation
15 tuner has never sounded that good before or after that bootleg
operation. I never listen to FM radio.

BTW the processing is far more complex than can be handled with a DBX.
They use multiband comperession.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The FM modulation system acts as a comprssion expander by itself. By using an RF transmission bandwidth much larger than the audio bandwidth, it exchanges that for S/N (claude shannon's theorem) , also helped with some pre-emphasis. So a 35dB RF S/N results in almost 55-60dB S/N audio. After that only improved antenna S/N improves the demodulated audio S/N. One of the best FM tuners capable of extreme high S/N is the panasonic STG7, having an integrator type count detector preceded by a frequency tripler, such that a signal results with a 800khz deviation. Getting an 11el yagi plus rotor really helps. The problems these days could the the quality of the modulators and the signal path from the studio to the transmitter, and the extreme use of fm processors to try to win the loudness war.