Dx Blame ST together Dx Super A

What i did with this circuit

The former one, previous one, have not reduced the bias in the amount i wanted....so..... it was forcing more current than needed to the output transistors at power higher than the threshold previously decided to jump from class A to class AB.

Because of that i have made the standard and traditional VBE multiplier...then i have adjusted the current to 250 miliamperes in stand by mode.

A zener diode connected to the ouput line make the rectification of output audio and also presets, because zener effect (only conducts with voltages higher than the component zener voltage) will send current to control de VBE multiplier transistor base.... reducing the DC bias current, gradually, as the current crossing this zener diode increases...... having current increase we gonna have VBE multiplier settings decrease, till it reaches the minimum that is more or less 40 miliamperes (this is adjustable and i am studying and listening to decide the best settings)

It is working fine...but i have to study the graphic of DC current in the output transistors due to this circuit in operation compared to the standard and traditional Class AB operation.

Circuit is simple...very simple.... the zener is "fooling" the VBE multiplier base.

I am controling using half wave...because i assume these two halves of the waveform are the same in amplitude...so... referenced by the positive or negative cicle will result the same.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Charlie foto recente.jpg
    Charlie foto recente.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 1,644
Last edited:
I want to have an amplifier that operates in class A (30% efficiency) ...

till it reaches 5 watts RMS of output power... reason why i have preset my current to 250 mA when operating 42 plus 42 volts...so... consumption is 21 watts in stand by mode..... 30 percent of that is 7 watts.... i do accept 5W as good.

Also i want something to switch (Super A circuit, or any circuit able to do that) this stable current in order to reduce it, gradually, till i reach the 20mA per rail bias.... say.... when the amplifier will be full power, its consumption will be 1.7A each rail (class AB), power will be almost 100 watts rms....but all that current will be the result of audio driving the circuit.... DC bias will be there just to be there, almost zero..... so, consumption will be the circuit demand to produce the full power without any waste of current.... going to 55 to 65 percent efficiency.

I have already made...it was assembled, it is being tested...several videos published showing the sound....this circuit shown, the Super A - MKII is the one i am listening..and it is going to 5 watts in class A.

What i call class A?

The same definition Rodd Elliot gives to us in his page:

Class-A Amplifiers explained

here is the schematic...i do think i have already found the solution, but suggestions and help are always welcome.

The way i have used to measure will be explained in video to be made, also new chart of current will be show in the video.

This circuit is approval pending.... i am still listening and testing..it is not ready to go.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - MKII.pdf
    61 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
In the simulator it is perfect...or almost perfect

It is flat from 5 hertz to much more than 100 kilohertz... sinusoidal waveform starts to become triangle around 130 Kilohertz ... when you inject sinusoidal and observe it full power on the scope screen.

AC analisis and fourier analisis perfect too.

I am listening searching for noises and strange modulations due to DC bias variations... say.. floating around the zero.... reference line floating compared to the zero volts.... also intermodulation and transients.

One point to be observed and tested using thermal heaters is the thermal compensation and the absence of dangerous levels of thermal drift...also i want to know if this Super A current will have to be ajusted with the unit hot or with the unit cool..i have some doubts about and i want to check.... in my imagination, as it will work hot, the adjustment should be made while hot.

For a while all that stuff is fun and enjoyment to me.....to be sure i will be making and offering the ultimate audio amplifier.

I do think i have made a lot of progress this half century or search and research...from the units that exploded in my face, i can now a days feel pride that i could create and offer for free, nice amplifiers to the community, sharing not only good sonics but also passion.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I am glad to inform you, dear friends, i have finished the Dx Super A - MKII tuning

into the simulator...now i will tune it real life (very different).

At the simulator it is glorious, unbeatable, awesome, super, wonderful and marvellous... and what this represents?....nothing!...numbers are just numbers...BUT... feed the believer's soul with strong faith.

Well...all i want was to reduce third harmonic compared to the second harmonic....another targed was to reduce it when compared to the Dx Blame ST, that is (WAS) the best ever made, wide world, audio amplifier.;)

I will post a chart and a graphic from the Dx Blame ST

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Blame ST - AC analisis.jpg
    Dx Blame ST - AC analisis.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,529
  • Blame ST fourier.jpg
    Blame ST fourier.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 1,493
What i had in the first moment, before i have tweaked

I am posting images from the Dx Super A - MKII before simulator tweak.

Observe the small difference from second to third harmonic...this pollutes the sound a lot....not a good result.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - MKII - first Fourier analisis made.jpg
    Dx Super A - MKII - first Fourier analisis made.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 1,335
  • Dx Super A - AC  analisis.jpg
    Dx Super A - AC analisis.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,384
Here you see two images...one with Super A circuit ON and the next one with

circuit Super A OFF.

You see it is not messing the results..we can use it on.... to put a switch into the pcboard ( i will arrange the together Juan Vargas) or to put wire jumper if you decide to use it ON or OFF permanently.

You see...the different when it is on and off does not appear in the THD meter.... because very small.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - MKII - ON-OFF switch.jpg
    Dx Super A - MKII - ON-OFF switch.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Dx Super A - MKII - ON-OFF switch (2).jpg
    Dx Super A - MKII - ON-OFF switch (2).jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
I will make current chart when i find time to do it.

I have worries..there's something that can kill the project and send it to the trash box..... thermal drift...and this is what i gonna test today.

Of course the real world tweaking for sonics will be made in advance..because without good sound...if we have thermal drift of not will be secondary...amplifier cannot be approved without good sonic performance.

Cross your finger and send me energies to make me wise to face troubles...i do thing thermal drift will be an issue...and i do not know if i am able to overcome these troubles.

Now.... the entire day of hard work..i got a licence from my work to full time dedication to that project in this tuesday.

Boys...even before the audio tuning..the treble reproduction of this amplifier is awesome.... treble tones are cutting or penetrating the air in my environment like a razor's blade edge can penetrate the air molecules...it is going inside our ears in a very sharp way.... and i am an old 61 years old man...i am listening trebles in a beautiful way...and before the tuning....imagine when finished!

Wanna schematic...of course i will attach it.... this is before real world tuning..this is a son of a simulator... and i talk about this stuff with some disdain, disregard or dispise...but i do think it is a good tool to work...real audition and tuning is what makes the difference...but simulators can be a good start.

Here you have the schematic.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Current chart soon.jpg
    Current chart soon.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 1,523
  • Dx Super A - schematic before w.pdf
    55.8 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
Now a days, performance is almost unbeatable.

Watch the third harmonic folks...... this was discovered tweaking...values are not exactly the ones simulated.... i found sound much more clean, then i return to the computer and i found some modifications could reduce third harmonic.

The most interesting is the input capacitor...if you install 1uf your harmonic your third harmonic goes down...if you put 2uf in place..then become the hell on earth.... very sensitive this amplifier to changes in values... this one looks critical...also to VAS current.

Is this great? ... what does this means?

- Means that due to the component tolerances you can obtain an excellent amplifier or a third harmonic generator.... means that it is hard to build two amplifiers with the same performance...means that integrated circuits, finally, show some advantage to us...their component tolerances are smaller...but also..their performance is worse...but they will be more alike left channel and right channel in performance too.

We have three to one...i can put it to 8 to 1... the ratio related second and third harmonic.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - MKII - Fourier Graphic.jpg
    Dx Super A - MKII - Fourier Graphic.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,331
  • Dx Super A - MKII - Harmonic distribution.jpg
    Dx Super A - MKII - Harmonic distribution.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Sx Super A - MKII - Performance.jpg
    Sx Super A - MKII - Performance.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:
yes the input filters should set the passband of the amplifier.
If the internal RCs of the amplifier roll off the frequency response then those RC will probably generate some distortion. That some could be inaudible or could be audible.

I have been telling you for years to do just this. Ensure the passive input filters set the passband.
I noted that your latest followed this advice exactly and made no comment since I have raised this issue so many times before and in most of those cases you came back and criticised me for interfering in your Threads with information that was not wanted and/or not needed.

Changing to a 2uF cap moves the passband down one octave. Expect there to be some effect.

Yes Andrew...now i can understand you much better

Now a days, as i have learned something more, i can understand you better and we gonna be able to communicate better.

Thank you anyway by your past tries.

Nobody's perfect Andrew..i use to be my best...i thought you were just bothering.... now i see you were serious about that stuff.

I have reduced the distortion.... 6th we can tolerate... but 7th and 9th are not that good.

Have some suggestion?

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Super A - MKII.jpg
    Dx Super A - MKII.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited:
Do you think your videos can promote your amps in a positive way?

No!.... i do not believe.

But i do believe i am showing that simulators only, are not the good solution, i want to show i use to do my best...simulator is understood as a help, a nice tool, in special to save components and to make fast and easy analisis.... but it is never understood as a "bibble", to be followed and obeyed as a ruler.

Simulator helps..but the real tweaking is what produces the best results, and usually we perceive huge differences when we substitute some key components.

I want to show you i do the correct way.... it is tuned, mainly, while listening.

Videos proves i do this job...the entire and complete job, while others simulates and publish, or because their fanatic faith in simulators, or because they are lazy, or because their belief that simulator sounds, or the combination of these three things.

My videos sound poor... camera cannot register high frequencies and nor deep bass...also room acoustics... reverberation, reflections, atenuations and so on...all kind of noises due to a non acoustically prepared environment (the same you gonna have at your home).

I do imagine people is clever...i do think everybody has the same level of intelligence..what is different in between different people are their skills related practice.... i think people can understand that "the real sound is much better than my recordings".

And for sure it really is much better......recordings are just reasonable, or just not that bad.....showing you i do the right thing is the main targed...i do create, calculate, simulate and then i use to build to listen.... videos are the proof, the document, the certificate.

The day i manage to see simulators going to shopping for audio appliances...then i will give to them priority in my life...but for a while, people that build, people that use, people that buy and listen audio equipments, are humans...and i do respect their ears.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I have made it!.... i did it!...the cream from the cream

The best in between the best audio amplifiers ever made... the ultimate awesome super machine.

I am listening and tears are dropping from my eyes.... deep emotions to listen so wonderful perfection in sonics!

Of course i will share the schematics..... it was tuned in such way have beated all i have heard in all my 61 years of life.

Wait for strong emotions..... it is just the best ever made audio amplifier!

Really..... Doctor Self and Blameless design together my endurance with it resulted the best possible.

A lot of modifications made if you compare with the Dx Blame ST...the sonic signature is now different..a lot of bass....and a lot of treble.... a very present midranges...perfect.... sounds like a tube amplifier (better!)... Miller capacitor is now 62pf......and almost 20 modifications made in values of resistors and capacitors...included one capacitor in the CCS and remove another one that was previously there..zobel modified.... input impedance modified...sensitivity modified...suckout modified...current to drivers modified, VAS modified, bootstrap modified.... Super A now readjusted to optimum performance.

I will be mourning about all other amplifiers...they have no way to compete...they already have lost..absolutely no chance...it is alike to put a Volkswagen Beetle to race with the Bugatti Veyron.

Project finished... well succeeded.... i will not work on it anymore because all i can do now is to destroy the magnificent harmony of tones achieved.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Yes... i will repeat... it is the best audio amplifier ever made!

I guarantee (warrantee).... you will be satisfied and it gonna junk any audio amplifier you have and use to compare with the Dx Super A - MKII, including Symassym and many others.

If you produce a fair A to B test.... another guy (not you because we are biased, you gonna have your preferences, your faith, your beliefs) will operate switches to put amplifier A or amplifier B into a good speaker...you gonna be listening and you will not know what is amplifier A and what is amplifier B (same power adjusted, same audio source, same music)...you will not see them.... so, also you will have no empathy because one can be bigger or prettier than the other...only audio...same volume...several musics playing.... 2 watts RMS of audio only...or a little bit less (to be operating in class A).... then, the switch operator will say the winner is the Dx Super A...without any doubt...for sure gonna be the winner.:hohoho:

I will eat the Super A pcboard if it looses...no chance to loose... now way to this happens... it is just impossible.

Try it and come here to say what you feel about...i am 1000 percent confident will be best audio amplifier you have ever listened to.

Not a humble regards.... a confident hurra! regard my dear friend.:)

To the competition.... sorry folks..... you loose! .... do not cry and scream so loud avoiding to look ridiculous... i am sticking my tongue to you:p

Be aware you gonna be angry against your other unit.... in special if it was expensive...because will be a shame on it, or a shame on you that have paid (spent) so much money in that piece of junk.... be aware not to have a sledge hammer around or you gonna hit that disgrace (your former, now a days condemned to death amplifier) till it became in small parts of a junk.

No problems if your dead amplifier is class A, AB, B, I, H, D...if it is expensive...if it is powerfull...if it is big.... i will guarantee it gonna be a looser...no way to match the Blameless design evoluted this way, tweaked to a hundred percent precision..no way...even Self would spend 100 hours tweaking to make this way..and he will not waste 100 hours of his time because he has not all that free time...so.... uncle charlie did it for him.... he can do it..but he has not time.... and i was studying the unit these last 6 years.... i do think i have spent 300 hours on it.

Be happy with a second place.... this is the best you will achieve if compared to the Dx Super A...this is not a humble regards.... a confident hurra! .... regards my dear friend (to the honorable competition) ... do not drink too much..this will not change your faith:)

But obbey an follow the schematic values pointed and transistor suggested...do not replace anyone by other brand name or number....no zero tolerances for resistor, capacitor, inductor and all parts..use the ones i suggest and exactly the values suggested..to the compensation use two 32 pf capacitors, in parallel.. exactly this way.... when values show are strange, then combine series and parallel to obtain the schematic value because it was tuned to a hundred percent and this depends on several parts tuned in combination.

Have not beated other amplifier...in advance go reading what gonna be my answer to you.

-" Sorry dude, you have made a mistake..check your parts values again and again and look for mistakes, replace input capacitor, check everything because you have something wrong in your pcboard"

This unit when you play it, is alike someone that flip the light switch from the darkness to the light..it is a divine sound.... directly from heaven to us.... from God to it's creation (us) .... this unit was inspired ... a divine breath of wisdom was sent on me by God....i cannot believe i could make it...i am so stupid now a days (old bugger) that i cannot believe i did it! .... i had several strange emotions...something saying to me to use this or that value here and there...and i did use and simulator said OK...the same happened when i made the real world audio tuning (tweaking)..inspiration to try this or to try that.

Carlos

Last edited: