Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Carlos, on gregs website for DX Blame ST, when you read the BOM there are a few errors in it, like it only Mentions 2x220R resistors when you actually need three of them, and the BOM has C18 as 2.2uf but the layout has C18 as 220nf, these are small errors I have found thought some one had noticed them.

R1,R16,R24 = 220R (only mentions R1 and R16 on the BOM)
C18 = 220nf (its 2.2uf on the BOM)

Have a nice day

Regards,
Zeraphine.

Now i understand your worries dear Simon... you will use an Ipod!

You intend to use a power amplifier output to generate audio to the Dx Blame...and Ipod as audio source!

Poor Dx Blame.... may kill itself because of sadness receiving such kind of audio source... these units are prepared to earphones or headphones....low impedance and equalized to match these transducers.

Ipod earphone jack is low impedance, and really when the wiper short to the ground you will offer a very low impedance to your Ipod....better to use line out jack.

Installing a series resistance to the potentiometer wiper, then you will offer the best load for your Ipod, exactly with the wiper shorted to ground...the input series resistance will be optimal load for it.

Also for some audio sources, line output levels, may be happy having such kind of loads too...to line increase it to 4K7 and they will work happy too.

Both ways work...the priority to the audio source or audio amplifier input is what changes the way you will connect...hundreds connect my way...i use to give priority to the power amplifier...and no builder have ever complained.... and you may be the second to plug an Ipod to it... i think i made it first but i really have not appreciated the sonics.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Ipod loading.gif
    Ipod loading.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 473
  • Here you see... was always this way.jpg
    Here you see... was always this way.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
You intend to use a power amplifier output to generate audio to the Dx Blame...and Ipod as audio source!...............
.................................. but i really have not appreciated the sonics.
There are so many errors of fact in this post that I will not respond in detail.
Difference of opinion is allowed, wrong facts made out to be true should not be posted and we should not have to tolerate such.

DX, wake up.

Do not worry Krachkiste.... the amplifier is ready...several guys have build

read the thread and you will see i am no more in the early decisions stage when we start a project...time we apply criterias ....as this work was one at the first decisions taken.

If you're not building the amplifier you should relax.

I suggest you to enjoy the thread in the place to have worries...watch the German town in Brasil...down the signature line you have the link.

Now a days, as this amplifier is 6 monthes old (release date)...my criteria is to relax and enjoy watching folks buiding....a second criteria is not to discuss such kind of controverse subject....do your way and be happy.

:)Below you see pictures of my "criteria"...... this means from now on.... in future conversations with you "people building"

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Soundbuster - Dx Blame ST.jpg
    Soundbuster - Dx Blame ST.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Volker picture, Blame ST.jpg
    Volker picture, Blame ST.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 405
  • Zeraphine, Sri Lanka, Blame ST, pict taken Nikon D60.jpg
    Zeraphine, Sri Lanka, Blame ST, pict taken Nikon D60.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Both ways to connect the wiper work in a certain way. So we have to take the decision which one to use in our design.
What are the (your) criterea for this decision? (where can I read them)

You're seeing things that aren't there (not only) in my post(s).
There is no discussion, because i don't try to convince you of anything.

just asking a question, expecting a general answer, that doesnt have anything to do with the ST. You say yourself, you always use the potentiometer this way. So you will have a reason for that.
The only thing i want, is to know what makes you use the version (potentiometer) you use, so I can learn something from you.

Well..... believing you just want to kill curiosity..and not

to start theoricall discussions... something i use to inform folks that i dislike and will never feed.... then, trusting your true intentions, i will inform you what i think about.

Selfish is my reason Klaschkiste.... i want to protect my amplifiers... i do not want to have variable impedance in the input...i want them to be thousand percent stable...i want to avoid any risk to them....i do not want variable resistances connected to my input, because i could see, several times, bad results while listening.

You know very well that does not exist things for you to learn about such kind of basic things...you know what the variable resistance does to an amplifiers...so..beeing selfish and protecting my own interest, i use to send the trouble to the audio source.... offering to the audio source the variable impedance to the audio source output.

As audio sources usually can stand for shorts in the line output terminals, they even use some transistors that sometimes install series resistances to the output and more usually they drain current to the ground...producing low impedance patches to ground that is equivalent, or almost the same effect you have shorting the output to ground...so...if they can do that...they can face my wipe, the potentiometer cursor producing shorts to the ground.

The decision, or criteria, is the worse possible...selfish....my own selfish...my own protection....my amplifiers never facing troubles because variable impedance..offering to them the most stable condition to operate...about the sources.... they're not my problem....if someone face problems..then i will suggest them to install a resistance in series with their output.

A security decision, for canceling amplifier possibility, however remote, the variation of impedance
seen by the input of the amplifier are set to create some kind of problem.... i do not to left room to the chance...reason why the wipe never goes to the power amplifier input.

I hope this conversations does not continue....i will not discuss or talk about theories..i dislike them a lot...because these things, as you see and you know, are addicted to controversies...i am searching and feeding my soul with positive things...happy folks building..i do not want trouble of people fighting to defend their point of views here.

I want this place, my threads, to be an island of peace and harmony..builders constructing, posting pictures, informing his experiences while listening and this is all i want.

People that wants to discuss can open threads and do that deeply if they want.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I am not expert in Ipod....i do not have them...so...i have only basic

informations about.

I think so, as you have a line out connection and this is standard in level and impedance.

To go to the safest side, my dear, install in series with your volume pot input (wipe) a 4K7 resistance and be happy.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Niss man.gif
    Niss man.gif
    14 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
informations about.

I think so, as you have a line out connection and this is standard in level and impedance.
To go to the safest side, my dear, install in series with your volume pot input (wipe) a 4K7 resistance and be happy.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...res-reviews-comments-here-please-niss-man.gif

That way is not the usual way to connect potentiometer in audio lines.
Usually the output is taken from wiper. On the amp side.
As other have pointed out, too.

I am not saying that way in figure will not work.
It will work. If Carlos say so.
Even if it looks strange to me.

Regarding Ipod.
The amplifier will not know there is one Ipod or whatever connected.
The amplifier will do its (good) job no matter what you connect!
:)

It does work either way, and rather than just say "carlos's way is wrong", I would explain it like this - the reason to use the wiper as the "out" is so that the source sees the constant resistance of the pot as it's load, and not a varying load which may affect it's drive capability, and therefore the sound quality.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...res-reviews-comments-here-please-niss-man.gif

That way is not the usual way to connect potentiometer in audio lines.
Usually the output is taken from wiper. On the amp side.
As other have pointed out, too.

I am not saying that way in figure will not work.
It will work. If Carlos say so.
Even if it looks strange to me.

Regarding Ipod.
The amplifier will not know there is one Ipod or whatever connected.
The amplifier will do its (good) job no matter what you connect!
:)

Lineup and Jaycee, be careful of what you saying here, it is not on shorting the outputs of a preamp or cdplayer or ipod or any other source you may whish to use. Read the instructions manuals of these sources and youll most probably find warnings not to do it, now you guys are saying its ok, yes there is most probably a resistor on the outputs of these sources, especially these cheap type sources but those are to make them idiot proof to some extent (note also for stability issues), the designers started to use them to eas warranty claims which are problematic and not so you can deliberetly short them and then push your luck when you make a warranty claim against damaged products.

I agree with Andrew, this kind of schemes should be prohibited from this forum, not only because its against the manufacturers instructions, against basic design principles but also theres newbies here reading and they should not be learning how to use volume pots this way which is totally incorrect.

Secondly youre not thinking of the degradation caused to the sound quality of the source when at low volumes the pot would have low impedance causing the source to double, triple or maybe even more its THD (if it was made to be idiot proof so it wouldnt cause failure in case of short circuit or too heavy a load), now you end up with a good sounding amp with a terrible sounding source.

Any reasonable well designed amp will not deteriorate that much from having a variable impedance at its input, if it does then rather redesign it.

At least I see Carlos went back on what he said and recommends using a resistor in series with the wiper if this is the way you want to use your pot. Apple in Brasil or any other audio manufacturer would have a field day rejecting warranty claims and would not be very happy if they read what is recommended as use of a volume control in this thread. I actualy think you could get in some trouble with them if they saw what was suggested here, it could cause them and their costumers to lose a lot of money. Guess thats why theres a not recommended for ipod sentence in that drawing. I wouldnt recommend it for any other products just as well. :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.