Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pic showing Kapton appears as pink. I thought Kapton was clear.
Is that isolator coated with some other material on one, or both sides?

Thin mica with Thermal compound on both sides is a very good heat conductor. Very few film based insulators can match it's Thermal performance. Choose carefully if you need good Thermal performance. Even fewer film based insulators can improve on thin mica+goop.
Kapton film on it's own is a flat surface that will not conform to the imperfections of the heatsink nor the device. Plain smooth Kapton requires Thermal compound on both faces just like mica.

Last edited:
What a space, what an opportunity to spread the transistors physically!.................a better buffer for thermal transients.
The PCB is done. It fixes the devices in a tight group.
Looks like it is designed for blown tunnel cooling. At the maximum power expected they are more like PA amplifier PCBs, where blown cooling is the norm.

Last edited:
the PCB is done. It fixes the devices in a tight group.
Looks like it is designed for blown tunnel cooling. At the maximum power expected they are more like PA amplifier PCBs, where blown cooling is the norm.

Ah, with active cooling it's less of a concern yes :) I just didn't get that from the chosen heatsink - if it would have been these high-density fin designs I'd have assumed active cooling.

Thin mica with Thermal compound on both sides is a very good heat conductor. Very few film based insulators can match it's Thermal performance. Choose carefully if you need good Thermal performance. Even fewer film based insulators can improve on thin mica+goop.
Kapton film on it's own is a flat surface that will not conform to the imperfections of the heatsink nor the device. Plain smooth Kapton requires Thermal compound on both faces just like mica.

Yes Andrew it is coated with a compound on both sides.I do use them very often.

Your concern is valid.
The PCB is designed for tunnel cooling, if high power must be dissipated.
That tall heatsink is quite unsuited to obtaining good heat dissipation efficiency with the PCB.

I will use this sink

Attachments

• koelblok1.jpg
    koelblok1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 503

Andrew it's not a Kapton it's a Sil-pads, here's what it says:

Sil-pads come in a few different varieties. The most common is a silicone rubber material reinforced with fiberglass. A different version has 2 thin silicone rubber layers sandwiching a layer of polyimide film. Many manufacturers use sil pads because they don't require grease to perform to spec (which makes assembly quicker and easier).

I will use this sink

Nice setup for fans, fans will not work for me due to the noise, i will have a fan to cool the case if temps escalate , but only for those brief moments. Also i do not like the heat concentration such a setup creates ....

Andrew it's not a Kapton it's a Sil-pads, here's what it says:

Sil-pads come in a few different varieties. The most common is a silicone rubber material reinforced with fiberglass. A different version has 2 thin silicone rubber layers sandwiching a layer of polyimide film. Many manufacturers use sil pads because they don't require grease to perform to spec (which makes assembly quicker and easier).

Thanks for that tid bit junie ....

Meanman,

I don't believe that setup at low speed with such a small sink will cool the outputs at such a load, well from past experience. Anyway such a setup was not an option for me , i needed a tall case and did not want a fan running constantly.

Why not the big sinks, it's not unprecedented ..?

regards,

Last edited:
They're nice heatsinks. I plan to passively cool my amp as well, they'll be reasonably big at approximately 0.0135 K/W. They will form the sides of the case and the PCB will be designed to be mounted to the back of the heatink. All TO220 semis along with the outputs will be cooled by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.