DVI out on a DVD Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
arniel said:

USB.org says
"Q4: What kinds of USB peripherals can I connect to my PC?
A4: USB carries data at the rate of 12 megabits per second, which is sufficient for "medium to low-speed peripherals". This broad category includes telephones, digital cameras, modems, keyboards, mice, digital joysticks, some CD-ROM drives, tape and floppy drives, digital scanners and specialty printers. USB's data rate also accommodates a whole new generation of peripherals, including MPEG-2 video-base products, data gloves and digitizers. Computer-telephony integration is expected to be a big growth area for PCs, and USB can provide an interface for Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) and digital PBXs."

Also,
"1. How much power does a system in S3 need to supply to USB?

A: 500mA per USB port. See section 7.2.3 for the details of device behavior during suspend and resume. The Device Working Group is working on power management extensions to the common class definition that should alleviate most of the S3 power supply issues with USB. Contact admin@usb.org for more info."
These specs are for USB 1.1, the newer USB 2.0 has up to 400megabits/sec. The power rating is the same on both.

dvd with dvi

Thanks all for suggestions. Since my video projector is not HDCP compliant and won't work with DVI output from DVD players, I have decided to stick with an HTPC with DVD drive and Radeon DVI output. This works well.

For casual component video out and for SACD and DVD-Audio I have ordered a Samsung DVD-HD841 which also has DVI output. Someday when I replace my front projector with a DVI-HDCP capable input, I will have the Samsung to compare against HTPC.

Kolwrath, I looked up the Samsung 935, but it does not appear to be available in the USA. I also wanted something that would do SACD as well. Oh well.

My asian DVD player has VGA out and it rocks. It's macrovision and region free, and supports NTSC and PAL. Has prograssive scan component, standard component, s-video and composite video as well as VGA. It also has optical and coax S/PDIF output and 6 channel analog output. The player rocks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.