dumb speaker/cap question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately, the position they are presently in is the only practical spot to place them. They are placed on either side of my TV stand which is in a corner.

There is no place else to move the speakers to even if I wanted to.

BTW, just yesteday, I got a the phone number of the old friend who I sold my old equipment to many years ago. We had lost contact with each other and had a real long coversation about old times. My number is unlisted and I will change that soon!

Anyway the sys consited of a pair of JBL L100 speakers, Heahtkit AA1640amp, HK preamp, HK EQ etc. He stiil has it (packed away now). I orginally told him if he ever wanted to sell it, I would buy it back and not to sell it to anyone else. That was over 30 years ago and he said yesterday I could have it all back if I wanted it!

However, I told him that I no longer had the place or room for it in my present apt.
So, you see my placement problem.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Only moving them 2 inches at a time can make small but important differences, but you have other options. You can place absorbers around the speakers to control reflections and you'll want to aim the speakers to find the better axis to listen on, which will also have an effect on reflection control.

I believe I've solved my problem, for the most part anyway.
My L/R main speakers are a pair of Polk "monitor 30 Series II" speakers which actually have pretty good mids and smooth high freqs.
BTW, I got them on stands about 12" off the floor. Also, I got them positioned upside down so the tweeters are on top. Why Polk put the tweeters on the bottom is a mystery to me.

My sub in a Dayton "sub 80" that has a Tang Band "W8-740P" speaker in it which is a great improvement over the stock speaker.

However, I still had that peak from the rear of ports of the Polks.
I just removed the Tang Band from the sub and decided to add a bit of "foam" to the sub's interior. On the sub's bottom between the two port tubes, there was bare wood with a few sharp edge braces etc. So, I cut a piecs of egg crate foam rubber (4"x11") from and old mattress pad to fit that area, It was a friction fit.
Then, I replaced the speaker.

The result was a bit of acoustical magic!
The bass from the sub is now tighter. I then just increased the sub's freqs slightly for the hi -pass to the Polks and everthing now sounds much better with no changes to my EQ settings. Before, when I increased the freqs to the sub, it did not sound right.

I'm surprised that just a small piece of "foam rubber" made such an improvement. :)

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Great find. It may not be clear whether you've fixed the problem directly, or compensated for another one...but if you like it, that's what counts. So what did you do? You may have changed a reflection/mode within the box, you may have altered the tuning of the box, and/or you may have altered the phase relationship of that unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.