Dual woofer box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Im going to build a box with dual woofers. They will be the same model and will be running in parallel sharing xover.

My question is if I should share the box volume for the 2 drivers or if I should divide the volume into two half boxes for each driver.

I thought I should put both in the same box but I have seen other designs using split box so dont know if im in the right way.

Thanks!

Scott, thanks for the link. Anyway its talking about push-pull or push-push configs.

Globalplayer, what you said is helpful for a PA speaker, so you can continue the gig with only one driver but I am looking for good sound, and dont know the advantages for each config.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Globalplayer, what you said is helpful for a PA speaker, so you can continue the gig with only one driver but I am looking for good sound, and dont know the advantages for each config.

Not only that, but if you're set up to swap out blown drivers during the concert and don't have 'close enough' matching specs, then you run the risk of one driver 'hogging' most of the power with little/no box loading pressure to protect it.

No clue if this is a potential problem nowadays, but back in the early days of the amp power 'wars' this was a major problem since all multiple driver cabs were just common vent cabs plus they might drop in whatever bolted up regardless of brand, model.

Regardless, if for HIFI/HT it can sometimes be beneficial to tune each driver differently and even different to it if more channels is used due to room acoustics, kind of like a more finely tuned version of Dr. Geddes multiple sub system that can require sealed, vented, BP4, BP6, etc., in a given room/app.

If nothing else, the divider board makes for the beginning of a much stiffer cab. ;)

GM

After some reading, I see mixed opinions, so I think I should make an effort and try both.

You are right about the reinforcement that the divider provides. I could make a holed divider to keep it strong, but sharing box volume, and other with no holes.

Will make some tests for each and come back.

Thanks a lot for your help guys

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.