Dual mono AK4495S with AK4137 and MCU/LCD DAC kit for $160

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LdxUvy5

I have this board with xmos, but how is the connection for two D/A converters? it's possible?

Is it possible, for example, to connect a D/A converter and A/D converter on this same board? Ex: AK4490 + AK5385.

Or do I need a specific configuration for this?

#1 no idea, I never used this board but if you can identify all four I2S lines it should be possible
#2 don't understand your question, can you be more specific or send us some pictures/wiring diagram?
#3 depends on #2

Hello everybody,

how does this dual AK4495SEQ board look to you?

TB2V08cjFXXXXb_XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!133416257.jpg

If I understand correctly (on G translation) it is dedicated for theirs digital player but it can be purchased separetely...

https://world.taobao.com/item/526149211498.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.ymy2HL#detail

first failure, no VREF decoupling caps (2200uf preferably), unless you plan to add them somewhere those chips will work 50% of their horsepower, secondly unknown VREF PSU and traces, again one of the most important part which might cause headache, unless you plan to rebuild it yourself or if you're happy with potential disappointment stick to proven design mentioned within this thread...

as earlier mentioned dual version fully built in chassis for less than $200 delivered is still bargain...but of course your choice ;)

first failure, no VREF decoupling caps (2200uf preferably), unless you plan to add them somewhere those chips will work 50% of their horsepower, secondly unknown VREF PSU and traces, again one of the most important part which might cause headache, unless you plan to rebuild it yourself or if you're happy with potential disappointment stick to proven design mentioned within this thread...

as earlier mentioned dual version fully built in chassis for less than $200 delivered is still bargain...but of course your choice ;)

Yes you are right, I get it! Only trouble is that I can't find decent shipping option to my coutry for built UStars DAC even trough "superbuy.com". Will have to go for kit version, which is in the end probably better :)

I have the single chip version of this DAC with a JLSounds XMOS device. It sounds good, except that it is currently in mono. That is, the right channel data is coming out of both channels.

I'm guessing that the micro is configuring the DAC for dual mono output, but how can I change this to stereo? The info for the jumpers is in Chinese, which I can't read. Could it be anything else?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've pretty much read through the whole thread but of some things I did not get a clear picture.

1) 2 Optical inputs is there a neat way to do this? I came up with a solution to have 2 x AK4118 and a 3-deck 2-position rotary switch to change the board that is connected. However I don't know how to connect the screen in this setup.

2) Power supply This has been briefly discussed, but do I need both a 50 W R-core and regulators or just the R-core? What is the preferred power supply setup in different price points? kukynas suggested diyinhk components earlier, but I would like to have some cheaper alternatives as well.

Post #140, diyinhk regulators

I've pretty much read through the whole thread but of some things I did not get a clear picture.

2) Power supply This has been briefly discussed, but do I need both a 50 W R-core and regulators or just the R-core? What is the preferred power supply setup in different price points? kukynas suggested diyinhk components earlier, but I would like to have some cheaper alternatives as well.

Post #140, diyinhk regulators

you need both, r-core trany as well as regulators, up to you which type you buy, check ebay as you might get the same type of regulators cheaper

I got the test system up and running and the sound.. wow! This a clear improvement over the previous built-in dac in the integrated amplifier advance acoustics MAP-305. This sounds much more precise and it makes the old dac sound like kind of dirty and stuffy.

However I had trouble with the jumpers as I didn't get any sound when I connected J10 and J11 only. I got it working when I connected J2, J3 and J4, but I think this is stereo mode and not dual mono? Any advice with the jumpers when using AK4118 with the AK4495?

attachment.php

Attachments

• dac test setup.jpg
    dac test setup.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 852
Here you go :
Coding switch Instructions:
Open the key: short press to switch AK4495S filter parameters, long press (greater than 0.5S): switch the input channel
Coding switch right rotation, the volume increases
Coding switch left rotation: reduce the volume
USB module switch: The volume is set to "0", short press key, you can switch (OUR XMOS module / Italy Amanero USB)
Right channel phase: The volume is set to "1", short press key, you can switch (2016 VR2.4
Only after version)
Rch Out reversed: Options suitable for connecting two monolithic 4495/4490 board
Rch Out Positive: Options suitable for connecting a single chip or board 4495/4490
DUAL_AK4495S board

Here you go :
Coding switch Instructions:
Open the key: short press to switch AK4495S filter parameters, long press (greater than 0.5S): switch the input channel
Coding switch right rotation, the volume increases
Coding switch left rotation: reduce the volume
USB module switch: The volume is set to "0", short press key, you can switch (OUR XMOS module / Italy Amanero USB)
Right channel phase: The volume is set to "1", short press key, you can switch (2016 VR2.4
Only after version)
Rch Out reversed: Options suitable for connecting two monolithic 4495/4490 board
Rch Out Positive: Options suitable for connecting a single chip or board 4495/4490
DUAL_AK4495S board

Thanks for explaining this! I manage to change this right channel mode but I'm not able to hear any difference what so ever.. :confused:

I have the board without J08 and J09, so I assume the pin config in your post #89 is correct for this. However when I close J10 and J11 when trying to enable online mode, all I get is complete silence.. :confused:

Even without online mode I'm very pleased to the DAC, but if there is simple way to fix this please let me know :)

Here is my finished DAC project. :)

Overall I'm very pleased with the result and the sound surprised me. I did not expect so clear difference compared to the previous DAC integrated in the Advance acoustic MAP-305DA amplifier. I did expect that changing the amplifier to Exposure 3010S2 would improve the sound more than the changing the DAC but surprisingly it's the DAC that improved it more.

Casing is DIY designed and manufactured with factory tools. The case dimensions are matched to the existing amplifier including the power button and knob locations.. The sheet metals were made at my work "protoshop" and also powder coated. The front plate I got machined according to my drawing by minishow seller in ebay.

In the casing I first went to RAL7016 (anthrasite grey), but it looked too light and little dirty. The bottom part is still painted in this color but the cover is repainted to RAL9005 (matte black). In the back side photo you can see the difference between 7016 and 9005. It looks so much better in black! :spin:

As you can see.. I didn't follow the recommended diameters for the e-caps.. Fitting too large e-caps required all the scarce artistic skills I had! :D

For more photos of the whole project you can check on my website.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is my finished DAC project. :)

Overall I'm very pleased with the result and the sound surprised me. I did not expect so clear difference compared to the previous DAC integrated in the Advance acoustic MAP-305DA amplifier. I did expect that changing the amplifier to Exposure 3010S2 would improve the sound more than the changing the DAC but surprisingly it's the DAC that improved it more.

Casing is DIY designed and manufactured with factory tools. The case dimensions are matched to the existing amplifier including the power button and knob locations.. The sheet metals were made at my work "protoshop" and also powder coated. The front plate I got machined according to my drawing by minishow seller in ebay.

In the casing I first went to RAL7016 (anthrasite grey), but it looked too light and little dirty. The bottom part is still painted in this color but the cover is repainted to RAL9005 (matte black). In the back side photo you can see the difference between 7016 and 9005. It looks so much better in black! :spin:

As you can see.. I didn't follow the recommended diameters for the e-caps.. Fitting too large e-caps required all the scarce artistic skills I had! :D

For more photos of the whole project you can check on my website.

Very good work :)
Congratulations!
What was your previous dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.