Dual 15" Dayton Titanic MKIII Design Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In Service

I moved it into place today, and I've been testing it out. It sounds great. At higher volumes I get a distortion. It's almost a rattle in the 80Hz range maybe? I need to take the signal generator and see if I can find out exactly where it it. On the low end, it just rocks.

I stuffed a shrt in one of the ports to make it 3@30" whihc is what winISD calls for. It's not that much different. I think I heard the chaffing noise, but not sure what it sounds like. Anyway, I took it out. Music sounds really great. It's got smooth bass that fills the space even at low volumes. It's very nice.

The TV does have a little bit of flicker sometimes when it really hits. However it's nowhere near as bad as the unshielded 12" would distort the picture. Any ideas on better shielding would be welcome. I have more of the stainless steel, so I could double plate it to see if that helps.

What sort of testing procedures do you guys to see how your design measures up?

Thanks for the help along the way Simon and Chops. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 219
What's the tuning you're currently using?

4@30" must be high tuning?

Your box looks nice, good work.

Using a signal generator is a nice idea to find the problem.

Double stainless may help if it's the same magnetic problem for sure, try to cover the box completely. But maybe it's your amplifier making the voltage dip a bit so the TV suffers. You could try the subwoofer on another outlet maybe.

To measure, you could try a SPL meter from RatShack or a cheap mic. If you're rich you could also use TrueRTA hehe!

The tuning comes out to 25.6 Hz with 4-30" inch ports. That's why I stuffed one of them. WinISD gives me 22Hz with 3@30". I'm thinking I got chaffing noise, or it pushed the woofer too hard.

The amp dipping the volume is very possible. The light on the back fades when it hits. It's also the whole screen which is either the more powerful maginet or the voltage problem. The 12" would just distort the top right corner.

I work for Agilent Technologies, we make test and measurement gear. I might be able to get some demo stock from the instrument guys to test, I'm just not sure what I would need other than a good mic and SPL Meter (Which I don't think we make).

I played with the signal generator a bit this morning, and I think the rattle is comming from various items around the house. The cabinet next to it, light fixtures in the bathroom, etc. It sounded ok sweeping through everything once I found the source of the rattle.

The girlfriend is already lobbying for 1 sub instead of 2, and she actually does lobbying for a living as one of her jobs. I may be introuble on the second box. :) I might make a sealed box so I can compare the two, and see which one I like better. Probably going to think about it for a few days. . .

Thanks again for the help, it wouldnt' have turned out as well as it did without you guys. .

The girlfriend is already lobbying for 1 sub instead of 2,

You do know you're not supposed to tell girlfriends(or spouses for those of you who are married) about diy projects until they're completed. See I dont condone lying to someone you're in a relationship with, EXCEPT little white lies to keep speaker projects how they should be!

Girlfriend,"honey is that another speaker box you're building?"
You, "Uhh, i had to take this one apart because there was something wrong with it, a vibration in the wood see, so now I'm putting it back together"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.