Dual 1245 low output on one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if anyone can tell me why one channel has less output than the other. I am using the Sure M97xE cartridge and N97xE stylus. Both are new. I have checked connections to cartridge and all seem good. I am seeing the output on a mixer I am using to record to my computer and can hear it out of balance. Is there an adjustment in the turntable or can I add a balance circuit outboard?
Thanks for any help.
Dave

I wonder if anyone can tell me why one channel has less output than the other. I am using the Sure M97xE cartridge and N97xE stylus. Both are new. I have checked connections to cartridge and all seem good. I am seeing the output on a mixer I am using to record to my computer and can hear it out of balance. Is there an adjustment in the turntable or can I add a balance circuit outboard?
Thanks for any help.
Dave

Reverse the channels of your arm cable.If the problem moves to the other channel then there is a fault with your cartridge.If not,then maybe it is your phono stage,amplifier etc....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Does this table use the proprietary Dual locking cam style head shell? If so check the condition of the contacts in the head shell and cartridge carrier, both of which may have oxidized.. Clean them if necessary - alcohol may be sufficient, otherwise something like Caig De-Oxit might be required.

Most of our customer repairs are DJs using
Serrato or something similar, so I deal with this situation a lot.
It almost always ends up being bad cables. They may seem to
work fine, but as they wear and fray you will get a higher resistance,
leading to unbalanced signals. Unfortunately the cables are soldered in
on that table, so it isn't a simple swap, but if you can handle a soldering
iron it isn't difficult.

Thank you for the sugestions, I will try the lead swap to test the cartridge and then I will try the cable swap. I had already pulled the shell and checked and cleaned the contacts to no avail. This turntable was given to me as a Xmas gift. It had been fully restored at a shope which is why I am puzzled. Evrey thing looks new and the cartridge came with the documentation sheet that is in the package when purchased.:confused:
Oh well, also I am an electronics hobbiest and have years of experience repairing and rebuilding electronic circuits so soldering is not a problem.
Also to address the preamp issue, I am mesuring the output at the turntable and have eliminated any other possible source for the condition.
Thank you again and sorry for late response.
Dave KA6MDE

I found the problem to be under the turn table. It was a wiper switch that makes and breaks contact when the tone arm is in transit. It is operated by a wheel that has gear teeth on the out side of the wheel and a lobe that lifts and lowers the switch contacts. The switch contacts had some corosion on them that came off with a little DE-Oxit and a quick run over with an emery board. Hope this info will help someone else with this problem.
Thank you all for your help.
Dave KA6MDE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.