DSP Xover project (part 2)

Thanks. I don't see the need to daisy-chain 2 units. I can semply feed BCLK, LRCLK + serial data of two I2S channels to one unit, and BCLK,LRCLK+ serial data of the other two I2S channels to the other unit, can't I?

What you have in mind would be no problem.
However, how do you intend adjusting the volume?
What would you do with the analogue and SPDIF inputs? Would you have any use for those?

I don't know if anybody has asked so far but what is the meaning of the name Najda?

No, nobody asked thus far ;) It's a modest reference to Naiads.

Plus a burnt Najda board :D
Thanks for making the guinea pig for us !

btw incredible prices !

BR
Jean-Louis

Hi Jean-Louis,

I will report first hand how burnt Najda smells :D

I guess all the mentioned PSUs are out of production and the remaining stock is sold out cheap. The PSUs are from a reputable manufacturer and the original retail price was much higher.

Uwe

Another neat software-function would be if one could switch betwen
different presets in the "output graf".
The function would fit nicely under "channels1-10" :)

This is unfortunately not going to be possible. The loading of Setup files is a long process that requires reading the file, creating controls accordingly for the GUI, computing DSP coefficients etc. You can somehow achieve what you'd like by using the Reopen item in the File menu.

When will the linking software be ready?

I cannot tell as Channel linking is not part of the forthcoming release, expected this month. This release will however include another feature that you have requested, which is the EQ Bypass button. ;)

More seriously, am thinking of a future proof Najda case

- the I2S out : is RJ45 the appropriate connector
- not asking for I2S in as I intend to include the USB SPDIF/I2S converter (waveio) in the same case and use ufl connectors on the WaveIO and I guess i have to solder the other end on a connector for header
- btw, has someone checked that Najda works with the WaveIO ?
- will the expansion boards require additional leds or pushbuttons ?

I'd like to add a headphone amp too, just want to make sure I can send allpass to the 4th analog channel and disconnect the others with a preset. OT :Is someone has a recommendation, tks (;-)

Many questions, tks

Hi JLOP,
you asked if somebody tried the WaveIO from Luckit. Yes, I tried it and unfortunately was not successful. I connected the isolated I2S Pins of the board to Najda and what I observed was a continuous overload of the DSP Core 1, This overload also can be observed while the board is configured for analog or coaxial input. The isolated SPDIF output of the WaveIO works fine.
Up to now I don't know why it doesn't work, maybe my WaveIO is defective? Has someone else been successful to connect it

Last edited:
What you have in mind would be no problem.
However, how do you intend adjusting the volume?
What would you do with the analogue and SPDIF inputs? Would you have any use for those?

Volume: can I cut the data in I2C/SPI traces of the volume chip on one board and connect them to the same pins of the other board? If not possible then I would need some source code of the micro and a way to build the project - possibly using some libraries if you are not ready to release the full source.

analog/SPDIF inputs: I would not need them

Got around to loading 0.06. Not played with any of the new features yet. Don't need more than +/-12dB on the correction front but will try a lower end X/O on the sub channels and see if it measures differently.
Thanks for the updates. How's the extra 2 channel conundrum coming along?

Thanks Steve. The 2-channel expansion board is the next item on my todo list after the forthcoming release. It shouldn't take too long.

More seriously, am thinking of a future proof Najda case

- the I2S out : is RJ45 the appropriate connector

Lots of good question here.

RJ45 has 8 contacts.
An output connector for I2S should make provision for following signals:
- L/R (also called frame sync)
- bit clock
- data x3 because there are 3 pairs of I2S outs
- optionally master clock
- return ground path for each signal above
You can clearly see that all those signals aren't going to fit on a single RJ45.

However if you intend to feed 3 separate stereo DAC boards, you could use 3 RJ45s, one for each DAC, with following signals:

DAC 1:
- L/R
- bit clock
- data pair 1
- master clock
- 4x return path

DAC 2:
- L/R
- bit clock
- data pair 2
- master clock
- 4x return path

DAC 3:
- L/R
- bit clock
- data pair 3
- master clock
- 4x return path

Make sure to keep the cables between Najda and external DACs as short as possible. I2S is not meant to run long distances.

- not asking for I2S in as I intend to include the USB SPDIF/I2S converter (waveio) in the same case and use ufl connectors on the WaveIO and I guess i have to solder the other end on a connector for header
- btw, has someone checked that Najda works with the WaveIO ?

Please see below my answer to Siegfried's post.

- will the expansion boards require additional leds or pushbuttons ?

No leds, no push-buttons. However the expansion board will be connected to Expansion Port 0, which is where you have the I2S output lines. So it's either external DACs or expansion board - just not both.

I'd like to add a headphone amp too, just want to make sure I can send allpass to the 4th analog channel and disconnect the others with a preset. OT :Is someone has a recommendation, tks (;-)

Currently this is only possible in FIR mode (no coefficient in a filter block acts like an open circuit). With the forthcoming release that includes custom biquads, that's also going to be possible in IIR mode (it will suffice to load one biquad with b0 = b1 = b2 = 0 to implement an open-circuit).

Hi JLOP,
you asked if somebody tried the WaveIO from Luckit. Yes, I tried it and unfortunately was not successful. I connected the isolated I2S Pins of the board to Najda and what I observed was a continuous overload of the DSP Core 1, This overload also can be observed while the board is configured for analog or coaxial input. The isolated SPDIF output of the WaveIO works fine.
Up to now I don't know why it doesn't work, maybe my WaveIO is defective? Has someone else been successful to connect it

Hello Siegfried, I have sent an email to the people at Luckit WaveIO and detailed the specs of the incoming I2S signals that Najda would like to see on the expansion port. There's no reason why we wouldn't be able to couple the WaveIO and Najda - we'll find out how to make it.

Have you seen this note in the WaveIO manual? Attention: There will be NO signals at J5 pin-header connector (Isolated I2S Outputs) if there's no voltage applied on the V+ and Isolated-GND pins (usually 3.3V but 5V is also accepted - please see IL715 datasheet for more information).

One more feature I can think of is,that f.e.x when you start the software (f.e.x after a reboot) the last used configuration is loaded up directly.

We could do this easily - but is that really desired? Imagine you want to create a brand new Setup so you connect and BAM you have to wait until the last used configuration has been loaded... Meanwhile now all you have to do is get the top Setup in the Reopen list. Let's discuss this further.

Volume: can I cut the data in I2C/SPI traces of the volume chip on one board and connect them to the same pins of the other board? If not possible then I would need some source code of the micro and a way to build the project - possibly using some libraries if you are not ready to release the full source.

analog/SPDIF inputs: I would not need them

All the peripherals are managed via SPI. Incidentally, I made an I2C bus available on Expansion Port 1. So we could use this bus to sync the 2 boards so that one keypad and one remote sensor command both units. Hmm let us think about it ;)

Last edited:
We could do this easily - but is that really desired? Imagine you want to create a brand new Setup so you connect and BAM you have to wait until the last used configuration has been loaded... Meanwhile now all you have to do is get the top Setup in the Reopen list. Let's discuss this further.
You are right about that.
But what about letting the output and input graph open automaticly when a saved configuration opens and even save the markings on the channels.

Have you seen this note in the WaveIO manual? Attention: There will be NO signals at J5 pin-header connector (Isolated I2S Outputs) if there's no voltage applied on the V+ and Isolated-GND pins (usually 3.3V but 5V is also accepted - please see IL715 datasheet for more

Yes, I have considered the note in the WaveIO manual. Applied the 3.3 Volt and GND supplied by the Najda Board (Pin 20; Pin22)

You are right about that.
But what about letting the output and input graph open automaticly when a saved configuration opens and even save the markings on the channels.

We had already discussed about linking frequency response files to Setups. We could go one step further and restore the Setup tabs to their state when last closed. What do you think Xav? :D

Last edited:
Nick, would it be possible to upload Najda's current configuration to the Najda Under Control software (reverse of how it normally works)? I'm considering a case for recovering the configuration where the setup file has gotten lost or corrupted. This is likely a few years down the line.

Nick, if it is not a problem to implement this feature, I think this could be sometimes very helpful. I am missing this option since I changed from my tweaked DCX2496 to Najda. But this is the only thing I am missing! In my system the Najda board outperforms the DCX by lengths! Very clear, airy, a much bigger stage and dephtness.:)