DSD audio over USB: an XMOS Reference Design implementation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those who would like to go a step further my good friend adelias helped me
to build a live CD based on the Voyage MPD distro with a DSD capable version of the mpd.
Just boot it with your XMOS device plugged in, add some .dff files with a USB flash drive and enjoy...
You can get it from here: Voyage MPD - DSD distro

Have fun!

Thank you very much guys!
Just tried it and it works perfectly – the easiest way to test drive mpd + dsd :)
A full installation of your favorite linux flavor may offer more but… with this distro everything is simple.
Voyage mpd live cd contains a tiny web interface and sshd so its remote controlled out of the box, just insert a usb thumb drive, update the music library and play :) Also includes minicom, I ‘ve made a custom hifiduino based implementation to control my buffalo via i2c from a tidy serial tacktile interface.
Bare minimum - a great small footprint solution.

Last edited:
Thank you very much guys!
Just tried it and it works perfectly – the easiest way to test drive mpd + dsd :)
A full installation of your favorite linux flavor may offer more but… with this distro everything is simple.
Voyage mpd live cd contains a tiny web interface and sshd so its remote controlled out of the box, just insert a usb thumb drive, update the music library and play :) Also includes minicom, I ‘ve made a custom hifiduino based implementation to control my buffalo via i2c from a tidy serial tacktile interface.
Bare minimum - a great small footprint solution.

So, if I want to try that Voyage mpd with DSD function, what USB DAC should I need? Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Great work !

I am currently working on an alternative XMOS based hardware, that is basically the "usable parts" of the reference design, but with som smaller modifications and better clock etc.

There's still som minor alterations to be done (IC3 should be replaced by an easy to handle 1.0V regulator atc.) and some verfication before it's ready to prototyping.

Ill definitely try this software with my design !!!

Attachments

• Claudia-board2.png
    Claudia-board2.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 544
The PCB was initially made to be placed piggybacked to my DIY DAC design (as an modular input card, along with an DIR9001 based card with same formfactor). So the I2S connector was intended to face downwards with an male connector.

With that said, u.fl connectors is still an idea to consider.

At minimum id put groundpins between signals.

If my XMOS implementation is of any intrest, ill post about it in an separate thread.

It was not my intention to put this thread offtopic. Sorry for that.

regardless of how you integrate it, if its not being transmitted over shielded impedance controlled PCB traces the u.fl is a better option, they make the cables as short as 50mm. ask marce about eye diagrams of what i2s and clock looks like after a pinheader.

but you are right, we'll go back to topic

The PCB was initially made to be placed piggybacked to my DIY DAC design (as an modular input card, along with an DIR9001 based card with same formfactor). So the I2S connector was intended to face downwards with an male connector.

With that said, u.fl connectors is still an idea to consider.

At minimum id put groundpins between signals.

If my XMOS implementation is of any intrest, ill post about it in an separate thread.

It was not my intention to put this thread offtopic. Sorry for that.

If you keep all pin assignments the same as the dev board, I guess there shouldn’t be any problem.
If there is a thread where you outline your efforts please give us the link. I got a few questions but I would n’t want to start an OT conversation here :)

I have good news for those that wish to build mpd from source. Basic support for the DSD-over-USB suggested standard v1.1 has been included in the mpd git repository. I have compiled from git and tested, DFF playback does indeed work fine.

To enable DSD-over-USB support, the following option will need to be added to audio_output
Code:
dsd_usb         "yes"
Features such as rewind/fast forward and DSF file playback are planned but have not yet been implemented.

First off all - thanks for the great job to share this customized Voyage MPD release!!

I have tested DSD64/128, FLAC, WAV, AIFF (44.1/16 to 176.4/32 to 352.8k/24) with this Voyage MPD release.
All formats start playing - even the DSD128 files...
I expect the file header is not read properly in this release - as the DSD128 have the double bit frequency of DSD64, but are reported by MpOD as if it was a DSD64 file(, or it might be a MpOD issue).

I got some strange issues with metadata, folder names, file names and what MpOD displays in regard of text and cover pictures.

Only half of the albums shows cover pictures...
I tested a lot of combinations and discovered that the folder structure where the music files is not always used.

As an example: A AIFF file (upsampled to 176.4k/32bit) and tagged with iTunes displays the cover picture and correct artist name, correct album name etc. regardless of the directory structure and filname and no Folder.jpg.

I can use
/testAIFF/testALBUM/testAIFF.aiff or
/testAIFF/testALBUM/testAIFF.aif

and MpOD shows the correct album name, artist name, melody / track name and cover picture.

If I makes both

/testAIFF/testALBUM/testAIFF.aiff and
/testAIFF/testALBUM/testAIFF.aif

Then MpOD shows both correctly.

To check if this problem with showing cover picture was caused by my installation (installed to mSATA) I booted the Live CD on a Compaq laptop.
The issues was identical - no difference.
What I discovered with the Compaq laptop was that MPD was playing everything (except DSD) directly on the integrated audio hardware, and MpOD controls the volume :D

So the question is: How to control the Album name, Artist name AND cover picture?

Last edited:
When this Voyage MPD release are installed to mSATA SSD (HDD) the:
apt-get or sudo apt-get commands is not working...

I among other want to install a graphical desktop that is not started by default,
but I can start manually when needed.

What needs to be changed to get the apt-get install command working ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.