Driving VU Meters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2.5V peak to peak is 1.25V peak. This is about 1.125V average after full-wave rectification. This is -0.76dB with respect to 1.228V average, not +3dB.

The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level article sheds some light on it, although it is not clearly written. 1.228V is the RMS value of a +4dBu sine wave signal, not the average value as you said.

The standard CD player output voltage always used to be 2V RMS (about 5.6V peak to peak), not 2.5V peak to peak as you said.

I suggest you carefully review your article, and get it checked by someone who knows the difference between peak, peak to peak, RMS and average - and how these relate to the VU standard.

Fair enough. But for pro use 0VU is always 1.228V RMS (with a sinewave). So 1.17V average (roughly).

From Wikipedia...
The reading of the volume indicator shall be 0 VU when it is connected to an AC voltage equal to 1.228 Volts RMS across a 600 ohm resistance (equal to +4 [dBu]) at 1000 cycles per second.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter#cite_note-4

Of course as DIYers we can set our own standards :D .

Mike

My VU meter drivers do not use op amps.
I use LTP transistors: 2 transistors 5 résistors 4 diodes.
This simple circuit gives input impedance over 1 MegOhm and a current drive to the diode bridge. Current drive, because of the diodes thresholds.
I posted the schematic in "Chinese mini VU Meters"
The 2 base resistors are not a must, just extra input protection.

Attachments

• VuMeterDriver.pdf
    5.9 KB · Views: 241
I am not sure, pure current drive is worthwhile for two reasons.
_The Vu meter scale may be, takes care of the diode thresold. Who knows about chinese cheapos. I am quite sure old Vu meter scales were made for a single resistor and diode drive.
_The error from the threshold hides in the -20dB area where there not much to see.

I suppose so. But to me, pure current drive guarantees that the ground current will stay clean, which makes things much, much easier. Although in your circuit, this won't be an issue, if you are working with a single op-amp per meter it makes a big difference.

Most VU meters out there don't take the diode into account, unfortunately. Only the true types with internal rectifiers do. Have a look at the scales on some modern meters and compare the difference between -10 and -20dB. Usually the distance between -20 and the minimum line is half of the distance between -10 and -20, indicating that the diode has not been taken into account.

Mike

Replying from work, apologies if you already covered it. A quick 'ctrl f' returned no results for 'ballistics' or 'weighting'. As I recall a true VU meter requires a specific drive impedance to maintain standard ballistics, otherwise it reads incorrectly on everything but sine waves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.