• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Driving Raven R2 with tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
driving Raven R2 with tubes

This may seem to be an odd question, would Heathkit WM4's be ok to use for Raven R2 ribbons ? I was using a Perreaux s/s amp but the switch off surges destroy the ribbons.
I run them actively from my DEQX, so no X/O to kill the spikes. The rest of my amps are Yammie 2002 (mids) and UCD 400's for the Bottom end.
Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated as i only have one set of spare ribbons left.
Tia, Peter.
p.s i've already tried a series cap, it still lets through a large craaack when the aircon cycles.

If you're getting a "craaack" when the A/C switches you'll probably still get that no matter what amp you're using - that's probably getting in ahead of the amps. With a tube amp, at least the turn on/off thumps will be history.

For what it's worth, I've found the R2 to be almost too fragile. I went back to the R1 because it can actually put out more acoustic power above 3k without damage than the R2.

thanks for that reply, maybe i'm overdriving the R2's as well as getting mains born nasties.
we have a load of deep cycle 6 volt batteries at work, if i can scab them i'll try running my WM4's HT and heaters from them. we also have some solar chargers for these and living where i do i'll never be unable to charge the batteries (they have a mains input for night or overcast) 355 sunshine days a year.
cheers,
Peter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.