Drive Unit Recomendations to acheive < 30Hz Sealed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
a true killer application would be a pair of TC Sound Ultra5400 18" sharing ~120L.
This of course needs equalization and hence potent amplification of 1kW or more (e.g class-D), but allows for a sound quality and power at the same that certainly defines the SOTA for such a small cabinet volume.
Second to that a pair of TC Sounds LMS-R15 in just half the volume of the 18" will be overkill already for most rooms and applications.
I prefer the TCs due to their precision, their lowlevel resolution and slam capability at the same. Typically those extra-long-excursion high-mass drivers suitable for small enclosures only know how to slam, but don´t offer sensitivity to low detail and musicality. That´s where the TCs differ and shine.
Equing could be easily and cost effective done with a DSF filter.
Crossing over should happen as low as possible, preferably at or below 50Hz.

jauu
Calvin

aah just one rem. The cabinet must be as stiff as possible.
Think of materials off of wood ;-)

Thanks for all the replies. Adding R's & C's is not for me. IMHO the speaker should be controlled by the amplifier.

Since I can't beat (or really even equal!) the -3dB @ 32Hz performance of my old 70 litre 12" sealed Sony Sub I decided to have a bit of a rethink. I have been running WinISD all weekend!

My new design aim is to try and find the best 12" driver to go as low as possible in a 38 litre enclosure (it will fit my furniture nicely) with a Qtc of 0.71.
Any suggestions?

Incidentally why do all the car subwoofer manufacturers seem to push for a Qtc of 0.82 or so with the recommended enclosure sizes???

12" driver for 38L sealed and Qtc = 0.7

My new design aim is to try and find the best 12" driver to go as low as possible in a 38 litre enclosure (it will fit my furniture nicely) with a Qtc of 0.71.
Any suggestions?
Hummm..! Qtc of 0.71, and what about good drivers with Qtc of 0.73 and 0.75...???
If you want only those with 0.71 fine, just have in mind that there are also very good drivers besides that, like the CSS with Qtc of 0.64.
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 1260w 12-Inch 1200-watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil): Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Alpine SWR1242D / SWR-1242D / SWR-1242D 12 DVC Car Subwoofer: Electronics
CSS SDX12 Single
CSS SDX12 Promo (pair)

Attachments

• SUBS - 38L Sealed - CSS SDX12 dvc.jpg
    SUBS - 38L Sealed - CSS SDX12 dvc.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Hummm..! Qtc of 0.71, and what about good drivers with Qtc of 0.73 and 0.75...???
If you want only those with 0.71 fine, just have in mind that there are also very good drivers besides that, like the CSS with Qtc of 0.64.
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 1260w 12-Inch 1200-watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil): Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Alpine SWR1242D / SWR-1242D / SWR-1242D 12 DVC Car Subwoofer: Electronics
CSS SDX12 Single
CSS SDX12 Promo (pair)

Or does he mean enclosure Q of 0.707 and rounded up. A system Q of 0.62 is a bit cleaner, natural sounding, IMHO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.