Drill aluminium

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tazzy said:
NICE! Don't think the clamp is big enough to hold my heatsinks though :rolleyes: :clown:

Its 100 mm wide (max) There was a larger one, but that one was only 150 mm (or something) so still to short and it costed 50 euro or so (this one was 27 euro excl btw if I remember correctly)

I think you have to use "lijmklemmen" or something to fix a large heatsink with the back facing up. Of course you want to put something beneath the ribs to protect it (a piece of MDF maybe)

If the material is not too thick..

This person on www.triodedick.com uses these Greenlee "ponsen" (punches??) to press round holes for his tubes. Maybe they also exist in square shape

greenlee_ponsen.jpg

http://www.greenlee.textron.com/products/holemaking.html

Seems to be expensive though

Rectangular holes: One of those square punches will work on sheet metal, but not on thicker plates. I've only made a couple square holes in aluminum, so YMMV. I drilled a smaller hole in each corner, then used a larger bit to remove the majority of the diameter. Then a file finished it up pretty well. Depending on thickness, I could see a Dremel with appropriate tool doing a pretty good job filing if you only have one or two holes to make, and have a firm, steady hand.

Drill speeds: The current Fastenal catalog has a drill speed chart mixed in with the drill bits section. I'll bet that the cast few catalogs have had the charts, also. Unfortunately, it only lists the SFM, and not material being drilled, and drill bit material. I usually just use about 75% the speed on the chart on my drill, as this seems to work the best for my tools and materials.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.