• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Drawbacks of Parafeed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In good old days, transformers were used in professional gear (and capacitors in consumer stuff). Now they use differential op-amps with high PSRR, mostly DC-coupled. You may be right, capacitors cannot be completely avoided, but that doesn't mean they should be wantonly inserted everywhere you can. The fewer capacitors, the better.

For same voltage, higher power is higher current and lower impedance.
25 VA, 0.11A, 2k,: 160 H = 30Hz
50 VA, 0.22A, 1k,: 85 H = 32Hz
100 VA 0.44A, 500r,: 40 H = 30Hz
200 VA 0.88A, 250r,: 12 H = 18Hz
Exactly. But for a 2A3 parafeed transformer, AC power handling is largely irrelevant. However, higher inductance translates into less low frequency distortion, so the preferred transformer would be a 25 VA one.

Transformers and inductors are also a problem, they destroy the sound.

Get rid of microphone transformers, preamp input transformers, preamp output transformers, power amp input transformers, interstage transformers, and output transformers.

For Vinyl records, get rid of the cutter coils; and for record playback, get rid of moving coil cartridges, moving coil transformers, moving magnet cartridges, and moving vane cartridges (variable reluctance cartridges, they have coils).

Then, get rid of Dynamic speaker coils, and crossover coils and capacitors.

This morning I listened to Verve's recording of Porgy & Bess, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, with orchestra and brass, recorded in 1958.

Come to think of it, I should throw out that recording; and all my recordings, Hi Fi Stereo system, and loudspeakers.

Now, knowing what I know, I can only listen to Live Music Performances.
What am I going to do during the Pandemic Shutdown?
I guess I can sing, and I can whistle, and I can play the only instrument I have, a 10 inch wooden recorder . . . toot!

Again, just a little Sarcasm.

Sorry, but my audio system sounds some levels ahead of the usual electronic PA crap they use today in live events. Never will attend such ones, too bad for the loudness war they fight. The louder, the better, thats their motto.
Yes, we had wonderfull recordings and LP's back then when everything was done by tube amplification.
You know, through how many transformers and caps the signal did go at those times? Dozens and dozens. And still the signal on the LP sounds listenable, phenomenal.
What has happended, that a 1960s Hendrix LP can sound that good, but a modern one can't? Thats the question. And it has nothing to do with transformers and coils but anything with the electronic industry, which shifted towards computer technology.
Because they ged rid of signal transformers completely and still the LP's mostly sound like crap today.

Most people never have heard about chemicals used in electronics. But all that has being changed, and the way and quality signal transformers are being made.
Don't blame technology in general, blame its implementation and an idustry, which has changed completely, still saying they produce the best, but the best today was the rubbish yesterday, when it comes to good sound. I mean, were talking about the top 5% of production, all else was rubbish at any time, anyway.

Last edited:
Exactly. But for a 2A3 parafeed transformer, AC power handling is largely irrelevant. However, higher inductance translates into less low frequency distortion, so the preferred transformer would be a 25 VA one.

To clarify, I am considering a 6336A parafeed amp. It is because I have a Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 parafeed amp that sound nice that I am considering a parafeed design for a new build.
I already have a 6336A SET amp. I have been considering building a second 6336A amp with a bettter power supply and parafeed output. Then I can compare the two. The winner stays and the loser slowly gets parted out.

N101N,

Please list some examples of where high impedance load causes high distortion.

I can think of one possible one:
A lightly loaded output stage that therefore is higher gain, so now it is clipping at the rails?
As I say for clipping distortion, turn it down, or get a more powerful amplifier.

Interesting enough, in my amp studies I've found some famous companies to do the same thinking when it comes to plate loads. Even my own tweaking of amps came most often to very low resistive loads, much lower than the theory would apply. But that sounded best to my ears. For e. g. my phono ECC uses very low loads in the second stage and I often wondered which theory would show that this will sound best. Its against theory, but with a strong listening focus that those values were choosen. I've never measured distortions on those circuits, just listened.

Paraded can be only as good as the quality of the coupling capacitor. After all possible refinements, what you hear is the sound of capacitor coloration. Thus, paraded is a non-starter if you don't want a capacitor in the signal path.

Series feed can be only as good as the quality of the last power supply capacitor. After all possible refinements, what you hear is the sound of the power supply capacitor coloration. Thus, series feed is a non-starter if you don't want a capacitor in the signal path.

Series feed can be only as good as the quality of the last power supply capacitor. After all possible refinements, what you hear is the sound of the power supply capacitor coloration. Thus, series feed is a non-starter if you don't want a capacitor in the signal path.
In a true differential output stage, which draws constant current from power supply under all signal conditions, the last power supply capacitor is not in the signal path.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.