Downfiring driver options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So What volume?

Now the question remains for the 1503: What sealed volume will yield optimal SPL results down low from a modest power supply. The idea for me is small as practical, size is important but so is sound. I don't think distortion is going to become a consideration at these (relatively low) power levels, correct? What is a good volume tradeoff? I came up with 2 cubic ft stuffed, Qtc=.55

Michael

Optimal volume?

Since you're using EQ and a sealed enclosure, the optimal volume is easy.

For *any* of these drivers, be it 1203, 1503, 1803, or HE-15, you want the largest enclosure possible. Can you spare 30 cubic feet? Great - use it. If not, make the box as large as you possibly can. The larger the enclosure is, the more efficient the subwoofer system will be in the sub-bass region.

As a matter of fact, in the sub-bass region, the size of the enclosure is far MORE important from an efficiency point of view than the subwoofer driver itself.

Moral of the story? Make it as big as humanly possible.

- Rick

I have all but decided on the driver I'll use thanks to the help of many. Thomas W and Rick, thanks a lot.

BUT......I found this (15") driver, modeled it for an active EQ'd sealed box HT app and liked it for the extra SPL it presented, with linear excursions to match what has been considered up to now.

http://www.audiomobileinc.com/evo-rspecs.htm

A little bigger box, .65 Q, 78 liters and 106dB at 20. And a 2 ohm load that mates well with my amp. Is .65Qtc too high for this app?

It's new and yet unproven, but a very good TC Sounds product. Not trying to talk myself into it or out of it. I'll take suggestions/opinions.

Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.