Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

BtsBlues,

The Preamplifier kit that you bought is based on an article that Doug Self published in Linear Audio magazine #5 in 2013.

The Doug Self 2012 Preamplifier was published in Elector magazine and is quite different.
Can you point out the broad differences please? At a gross level, I see that both have the awesome variable turnover frequency tone controls, right?

Differences between Doug Self's 2012 and 2013 preamplifiers

Sure,

I am sure to forget something but here goes ...

#1) The 2012 preamp includes a phono stage, 2013 does not.

#2) The tone controls in the 2013 preamplifier are improved over those in the 2012 elector project.

#3) The 2013 preamp has an improved layout, split between the main and IO PCBs. Or perhaps I am biased as I crafted the 2013 PCBs! Ha, ha ...

Beyond these few items, the differences are of little consequence. Both the 2012 and 2013 designs are great performers.

Last edited:
Sure,

#2) The tone controls in the 2013 preamplifier are improved over those in the 2012 elector project.

#3) The 2013 preamp has an improved layout, split between the main and IO PCBs. Or perhaps I am biased as I crafted the 2013 PCBs! Ha, ha ...

Beyond these few items, the differences are of little consequence. Both the 2012 and 2013 designs are great performers.
Ah, I had not noticed the phono stage difference. Thanks a lot. And yes, it's great to get the other improvements.

And a separate board for the IO is totally necessary for most of us. Grateful that we have this mod.

Sure,

The 2012 also specifies hard to find, very expansive, 1k 'power' pots, specially for the volume control.

Thank you Carl for your taking the time to answer questions.

The BD139 and BD140 devices that are available from distributors are BD139G, BD13910S, etc. Does this matter in the power supply circuit?

Do we have a few named substitutes for the discontinued BC560C in the power supply? The NPN complement, the 550C, seems easier to buy than it's mate the 560C.

I find it amazing how low vendor parts stocks are these days. I never expected to see them get this low.

BC556/ 557/ or 559 can substituted for the BC560 called out in the drawing.

And since the voltage is adjustable using a pot, substituting the described TL431CLP should not be a problem.

Attachments

• PWR_SUPPLY.jpg
    PWR_SUPPLY.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 258