Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

I just received the PCBs and I started to solder the components. But in the files that I got I have two different PSU schematics regarding some component values. I attach both of them. Please advise which are the correct values for R5, R6, R9, R10 resistors.

Attachments

• PSU1.jpg
    PSU1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 255
  • PSU2.jpg
    PSU2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 258
It seems rather artificially overengineered to me. It also doesn't have short circuits or temperature handling. If it had less noise, okay.

If you know how to improve the PSU, I invite you to document your revised circuit on this thread. If your change is worthy members will quickly embrace it and I will integrate it to the PCB.

Reactions: 1 user
Inspired by the discussion here about an IR controllable version of this preamp, I have started again to think of possible solutions. I have had many ideas which I often discussed with @Carl_Huff (thank you, Carl, for your time - I wouldn't have come this far without your help). Most of the ideas were quickly discarded, and some made it to a design/routing phase. Finally, I implemented a concept which allowed me to re-use the preamp PCB and the +-15V supply PCB:
  1. I designed a PCB to hold MCP41HV51 digipots which fits exactly on the original preamp PCB as a replacement of the mechanical pots. Luckily, I had one of these PCBs already at hand from an earlier try ;)
  2. The IO PCB needed a few modifications:
    • separate grounds for audio/relays
    • low side relay switching with an ULN2003
    • updated 12V supply
    • for my convenience: selectable relay supply (onboard/external) and selectable output delay control (onboard/external)
  3. As microcontroller I am finally using an Adafruit Grand Central M4 Express which can be programmed using the Arduino IDE and many of the Arduino libraries can be used, too. Originally, I had used an Arduino Mega 2560 which caused a lot of headache to me as it turned out to be the source of hizz in my setup.
  4. I added a small RGB OLED (small enough to fit into a 1U case) and a rotary encoder + switch.
  5. The digital stuff is powered by a small 5V SMPS.

Some impressions:

Front:
front.jpg

Digipots:
preamp_digipots.jpg

Modified IO board:
io.jpg

Everything combined:
everything.jpg

Example splash screen ;)
splash.jpg

So far, I haven't done measurements yet but the preamp sounds good to me (=without audible noise/distortions) which is my primary goal. Nevertheless, there are things left to be done which I will follow up step by step:
  • Implement the IR control which I had honestly forgotten when designing the front panel ;)
  • Implement using the big standby switch
  • Cable cleanup
  • Implement NVM storage of settings
I have a readily designed zero crossing detection circuit and all the parts for it at hand. But after listening tests, I am no longer planning to implement measures against zipper noise as there just isn't any that I could hear.

Any hints/suggestions/questions are always welcome!

Reactions: 1 user