double-sided pcb: how to easily remove a soldered component?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to chime in on soldering equipment: Wellar used to be awesome. Then they moved to South Carolina (not sure). I bought a Wellar with temperature control. Within the warranty period it was sent back 3 times. ....cold tip, dead heater, whatever. On the third time, I called them and asked "what's up". The service guy asked me a couple of questions, where the last question was "how wet do you make the sponge". When I answered the service guy said "Oh, you're making the sponge too wet". ...............Last Wellar ever!! I have used Hakko 926 ( I know, not VacuSuk) since then, and have never looked back. Love the Hakko. Metcal's are just silly. Current sensed on the tip shuts off the iron. even static!! I know this isn't the right thread, but maybe similar enough? Can anyone get these Aoyue's in the state?? I'm still cheap, ya know :apathic:

Hi jarthel - sent you a reply, but e-mail system here is slow..

mrshow4u - Weller was a highly respected brand - then they got bought out by Cooper tools and well, went down from there I think. I still have a soldering gun handed down from my brother - must be close to 40 years by now, and it still works!! The new units 'look' the same but simply don't have the same feel - and quit pretty fast.

Cheers!

Clem

sir clem,

do you happen to know any shop or store in raon (or elsewhere in the metro) that provide hot air soldering services? i just bought some IC ships and their leads are directly under the chip. (they have no leads or pins like other surface mounted packages)

im a newbie when it comes to hot air soldering that's why im keen on seeking professional help.

thanks!

You can solder-suck and use wick. The trick (or the problem) is that the pins are usually pushing outward, away from the chip. Some solder is always retained between the lead and side of the hole. You can use a small pick or screwdriver to hold the lead in the center of the hole while it cools.

When you think you have it "free", you should be able to wiggle the pin back and forth within the hole.

THIS IS A PAIN... so, if the chip is headed for the trash can, just cut down each side of the chip and take them out one by one.

If you must save the chip... there are special irons and tips you can buy.

If you have 2 irons and a helper you can solder a piece of bus wire down each row of pins, then use the irons to heat all the pins at one time and have a helper pull the chip from the other side.

You're usually better off just to sacrifice the chip... all things considered, it is better for the board.

:)

sunspot101 said:
sir clem,

do you happen to know any shop or store in raon (or elsewhere in the metro) that provide hot air soldering services? i just bought some IC ships and their leads are directly under the chip. (they have no leads or pins like other surface mounted packages)

im a newbie when it comes to hot air soldering that's why im keen on seeking professional help.

thanks!

Not that I've heard of, sorry! You could try calling up ASTI and asking them if they do such things in-house or if they have someone else do it for them, and who. Not sure who you can talk to though!

Cheers!

Clem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.