Double bottom peak of wave forms on Rigol 1104Z Plus Oscilloscope

I'm new to using oscilloscopes and wondering why I see a double line at the bottom of the wave. It happens with my function generator connected, but also with the built in 1kHz probe tester connection on the oscilloscope. Same result with different probes in different channels, also with the same probe in different channels. Probes have been calibrated. 1x and 10x give the same result. Coupling is DC, trigger auto or manual or single all the same results as well. Please see screenshots below:

share1.png
share2.png
share3.png
share4.png

I adjusted the time scale and it seems fine, but when I move the vertical position down, I get the double lines at the bottom, then when I move it to the top I get doubles at the top. On 10x I get the doubles at the bottom regardless of the time scale. (Last 2 pictures) Could this be a problem with the scope? (When I do a single trigger it still has the double lines.)

DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint2.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint3.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint4.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint5.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint6.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint3.png
DS1Z_QuickPrint4.png

Last edited:
Joined 2011
When you move the trace, that changes where the triggering happens.
Read your manual regarding triggering.

A properly done single-shot trigger will not have the problem.
Proper use of test equipment requires learning and effort, sometimes a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
You are right, I realised that I probably changed a setting before (Display type: from Vector to Dots) and that caused the double lines. What I still don't know is why the bottom part remains much thicker than the top one when I use 'Auto' to capture the signal. I looked at the same model in YouTube when people do the same thing they seem to have uniform top and bottom. Triggering should be the same as I reset all settings and I used 'Auto' as well. Here's my result:

DS1Z_QuickPrint5.png

You may have a look into the manual and search for the acquisition mode your scope offers. My scope offers:
Sample, Peak Detect, High Resolution, Average, Envelope, Envelope+Peak Detect
With mode Sample the displayed wave form is broader, because samples are decimated (i.e., some samples are simply discarded), when the sample rate is smaller than the sample rate of the Analog-Digital converter of the scope. Hence, time resolution is then smaller .
When I switch to High Resolution, I get a nice thin line with a higher vertial resolution.
PS: A further aspect may be common mode noise, which can ruin (broaden) your signal. Dave has nice video on eevblog:

Last edited:
Thanks @Grauwacke , it really does look good when I set the acquisition settings to 'High Res' Also when I reduce the 'Memory Depth' to minimum, it even looks fine with 'Normal' acquisition. Although others don't have this problem with the same exact oscilloscope and default settings. I researched a bit and found that I'm not alone with this problem and it seems like it's a fault in the device.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi BAudio
I tried to replicate your problem on a Rigol DS1202Z-E that I have here but no luck, so I can't comment anything more than peers have written.
I would only concentrate on the hum pickup that rayma mentioned in #2 post.
As for the 'thick' top and bottom lines of the displayed SQRW (thickness indicates noise pick-up), the best remedy is to use even the lowest averaging (X2)
George

Attachments

• 1_Normal_Antialiasing OFF.jpg
    1_Normal_Antialiasing OFF.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2_Normal_Antialiasing ON.jpg
    2_Normal_Antialiasing ON.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 3_High Resolution.jpg
    3_High Resolution.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 4_Average X2.jpg
    4_Average X2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I see.
I hope the return transaction goes well for you.
I searched on internet for DS1104 issues and the only I got was your post here and this (input noise due to a leaky SMPS main capacitor):
Do you have any other source of info regarding your or a similar problem?
George

One of the Siglent 800x series would be a nice option eventually. For now I might just get a very simple one as I'm still new to designing circuits. I'm planning to design an integrated single-ended class A amplifier. For that I don't need much bandwidth. FFT function would be nice to detect harmonics but that can wait. When I'll get there with my design, it will probably be time for a new Siglent.